1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP PLEASE ! Need help with Bantam Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mljohnson05, Sep 11, 2012.

1. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    1.5 Years ago we got a OEG bantam and a porcelain d'uccle bantam from Orschlens...my son kept asking over and over to hatch eggs, and after enough begging, my husband said ok. My question is... can you FEATHER sex the babies of theses 3 chickens....If it can, then i know both are pullets.... is feather sexing of OEG bantam cockrel and porcelain d'uccle bantam hen possible ??
    THANK YOU BUNCHES in advance =)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  2. ChickenExtreme

ChickenExtreme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    You can only feather sex slow growing feathering chicks, only certain breeds

3. mljohnson05

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    I know that part, but was wondering if the bantams i listed was one of them? I have heard that since the mom and dad came from a hatery to Orschlen's, that most of them are breed to be feather sexed....so was wondering it was ture and if I could sex them that way?

4. mljohnson05

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Does anyone know what hatchery breeds of bantams can be feather sexed? Any info will help me please [​IMG]

5. ESofVA

ESofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    Depends on how old they are. New chicks?? no

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Crossbreds will not nescessarily breed true to charactoristics. I have not heard that either of those breeds are feather sexable, you might try posting on the breed threads.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by