Help Please- Need Your Design Ideas!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nancypo, Jul 30, 2010.

1. nancypo

nancypo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Here's our exsiting coop, and we're going to enlarge it for the cold winters here to have a more enclosed coop. We're thinking when the ground's frozen and they can't free range they'll (3 hens) have more floor space. We're going to add a nesting box that sticks out from the main area, as an overhang, on the back closest to the fence. We are also going to re-configure the roof line and make it about 3'-4' longer on the left end and open on the front with hardware cloth like the rest of the front. We'll add a 2nd perching area too. We going to add more hinged areas for easy cleaning. It's a pain to clean the front on my hands and knees and having to remove the hardware cloth. Are going to frame that with a hinge, no more bending! I use the deep litter method (works great!) but I need to get in there for eggs now too. Adding a door on the far right side as well, and on the far left. I must say I love the roof that opening, easy for cleaning!!!

So, here's you chance to make suggestions, which we could use!-

What would you do with minimum waste/work? We do not want to have to start all over, just need to extend size and ease for cleaning. We are getting lots of free materials again- 2x4s, 4x4 (for base of walls), plywood, will probably only need to buy more hardware cloth, used scrap roofing, hinges and latches. May re-do the whole roof in the same materials, maybe cedar shakes (lots free locally).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    bump

3. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop