Help please! New chicken owner and chick issue!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JessSmess, Apr 4, 2017.

1. JessSmess

JessSmess New Egg

Apr 4, 2017
    My chick won't extend her neck and has a wobbly walk. Mainly sticking to the side of her tub and laying down.

Crop was full yesterday and had a hard square piece in there I can only guess was a pine shaving. Did the oil and massage and crop fully emptied. Today no change in her behavior and I don't think she is eating and drinking enough though she is eating scrambled egg readily by hand. Poops look good.

Anyone had a chick with a hurt neck or is this a crop issue still?

2. JessSmess

JessSmess New Egg

Apr 4, 2017
    [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would make sure that she is drinking water with vitamins and electrolytes in it--SaveAChick or other brands. Continue to observe her. Make sure that she isn't being kept from food or water. Hopefully the pine chip isn't blocking her gizzard. Can you get a small bag of chick grit for her? Not sand, which can cause more problems, but chick grit which can help her digest things other than chick crumbles. Just put a little out for her to take as she wants. I hope she doesn't have a neck problem. Let us know how she is doing later.She is a pretty little chick.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  4. JessSmess

JessSmess New Egg

Apr 4, 2017
    Thank you for the reply. She is same condition wise today. They have had access to grit since I got them, the exact kind you posted a link of. They also get vitamins and electrolytes in their water. That being said I do have a sand a bath in their pen which they do dust bathe in as well as eat some. What problems could that cause as I thought that was OK? Thank you in advance for your help and will definitely update.

5. ecyoung713

ecyoung713 New Egg

Mar 5, 2017
    South Carolina
    Sorry- I thought when I posted it would create a new post. I'll try again on the main page. I hope your chick is doing better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by