Help please! New Sebastopol geese: blood in pen?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by aduckstolemyheart, Jan 25, 2017.

1. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    Ok so I bought a quad of Sebbies a couple days ago. When I picked them up it was late, and dark, but seller thought she saw a couple of drops of blood in the yard they were in. Sure said they looked like fresh drops. Thought maybe someone had caught a toe on something, so she sent some bleed stop just in case. Looked them over with a flashlight when we got home, didn't see anything at all. No fresh blood on tarp they were on.

Next day, I carefully checked their quarantine stall, saw no evidence of any blood at all. One goose seemed a bit lazier than the others, but not lethargic, no symptoms, bright clear eyes, no discharge, no sneezing, etc.

Today, by the stall door there's a couple inch spot that looks like it *could* be blood. I say could be because it's the right color (red) but does not look like drops. Could not rule out bloody poop. Everyone is white, no signs of injury, etc.

Should I be worried??? What could be going on?
    Thanks so much!!!!

Pic in case you guys see something I don't:
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @aduckstolemyheart look at bottom seems if its coming from there you'd see it on white feathers which would make me think cocci or worms.

They all look beautiful but it's a pic you are there observing maybe check poops out too. @RURU we need your expertise again .

3. aduckstolemyheart

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri

Thanks for the reply! I checked the vent area and did not see any signs of blood. That's not to say they couldn't have washed it off in their pool or something.
    Should I do anything preemptive or just wait and watch?

Any red flags to watch for?

I've never had a sick goose around here (other than one I bought at auction and at pick up it had wry neck)... knock on wood, so I'm really not experienced with recognizing symptoms. I'm a bit paranoid. I've heard so many stories.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I hope @RURU will respond since she has Sebbies. I would go ahead and worm them before breeding starts. I use Valbazen or Safe guard you could use the paste for horses since you just have the 4 Safe guard is what I use when worming all my flock so I don't have to catch all my water fowl and treat individually I mix that in their feed. .But the paste would work for 4 geese. You can find all kinds of info on line about Cocci I've never had it here thank goodness. It's a protazoa that lives in the ground. What was it like where these geese were kept before you got them? You can't always see worms in poop either.

5. aduckstolemyheart

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri

I've checked the poop I can see easily and don't see anything. Worming is probably a good idea anyway. I'm not sure their normal living conditions prior to here, because she had them penned because of a dog that had attacked the flock earlier this year. Caused one of these birds to have a wing tip amputation and another to get stitches. Her LGD was killed and they were at risk now from a neighbor's dog. Which is why she sold them. When I got there it had been raining for days and they standing in mud. The outside run was thick with it. Inside was dry and fine. I think they've been penned like that for at least a month.

I have a large flock of ducks and African geese that I had decided to worm preventively as well, even though they're all healthy. So I might as well do everyone. You said you use safegaurd? What kind and how?

Thanks so much!!!

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Can't always see worms. I asked on the worming thread what @casportpony recommended because I am not sure how to tell you to go about worming your flock. Here is the link to the thread. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...formations-graphic-pictures/560#post_17997494 You wouldn't want to use paste when worming a whole flock it would be too expensive and I wouldn't want to stick my hand inside my gooses bill so lets see what she rec. Of course that may be the best way to worm.

7. aduckstolemyheart

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri

Thanks for all your help! I'll check it out. Not sure it's a necessity, as my flock has been doing amazing. But I figure it may be time to do it just in case.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by