Help please! Newbie chick question

farmgirl68

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 28, 2009
Hi,
I have a broody hen who had 2 chicks this week. Every time we put our hand in the coop, not near babies she bites. She will not allow us to fill the water bowl or fed dish.

We want to socialize the chicks with us, however mom refuses to allow it.

I understand mom is being protective.

At what point will she likely want to leave the coop?

Any advice?

That's the one big drawback with broody-raised chicks. It's normal for your broody to be protective. It's one of the functions of those ornery broody hormones.

I have a couple of hens who are that way about the egg they've just laid, and they aren't even broody. It goes to the temperament of some breeds to be intimidating, too.

I'd leave her in peace to care for her chicks right now. In a few days, she will bring them out and then you may have a shot at being able to handle them.

Thanks they are in a big coop, we lowered the nest to the ground floor of the 3 level coop for the chicks safety. Mom was free ranged, we don't plan to free range the chicks until they are big enough to defend themselves.

Being a newbie, I'm not sure my thinking is correct, however I was hoping at some point mom will fly out the coop and leave the chicks behind for short periods.

Back
Top Bottom