Help! Please! newborn chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jane A, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Jane A

Jane A Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2008
    Acworth, Georgia
    I'm a serious rookie and am afraid for the welfare of new and unborn chicks in our hen house. On Feb 05 one hen got broody. I didn't want to isolate her because of the cold weather. I thought there were only 3 eggs at most under her because when I collected the eggs that day, they were about 3 eggs shy of normal. We decided to just let nature take it's course, figuring all three would hatch in 3 weeks if they were fertile. One week later, when she was off the nest eating, we discovered 9 eggs in the nest and realized she must have been hijacking other eggs that were laid on the ground next to her nest. My husband built a barricade of sorts to prevent any more of that, but we are not sure how long each egg has been under her. Yesterday, exactly 3 weeks from the day she got on the nest, I could hear peeping sounds from under her so I know at least one has hatched. What do I do now? How is the chick supposed to eat if Mama keeps setting on the nest? Will she stay there until all the eggs hatch? That may take another week. Do I need to try to get any hatched chicks out from under her and start feeding in a warming box? Any suggestions? Thank you!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    You could put food & water in a container and place it in the nest, the hen will show the chicks how to eat & drink.

3. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    Depending on how cold it is, you can make up a brooding box for them and move them indoors where you can control the temp better for them. and start getting them as they hatch or give it a couple days and get them all at once, if she will let you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by