Help please!!!!! Off by 1 day

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sterlingb, Feb 28, 2013.

1. sterlingb

sterlingb Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2013
    Shreveport, LA
    I put this on another thread but haven't really gotten any response so here it is again.... Checked my calendar today and realized I was a day off so I put my eggs on lockdown on day 17. Is this going to effect them hatching? Really scared and nervous. Please tell me I didn't just kill all my baby chicks!!!

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    you may just try to lay off the water, but check the air cells and compare to day 18

3. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

big breaths

It should make very little difference to your hatch rate.

If it is indeed low, question other issues first before assuming it was related to a few hours of high humidity.

4. sterlingb

Feb 12, 2013
    Shreveport, LA
    I haven't even been able to keep my humidity above 60% since day 17. It stays about 59-60. No piping yet on any eggs. I did see some rolling/rocking on day 17 when I put them on lockdown. This is my first time hatching so I didn't mark my air sacks either!! So I can't tell if there was any change in them. Tomorrow should be day 21.

5. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    just sit tight and don't worry.

6. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

join https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ell-detatched-shipped-eggs/6120#post_10581674
    there are people who will help you get through it

7. sterlingb

Feb 12, 2013
    Shreveport, LA
    Thanks so much everyone!!! Tonight while in the kitchen I heard some chirping coming from inside the bator!!!!EEK!!! And one egg wiggling like crazy!!! I almost cried I was so excited!! So fingers crossed this is a sign of good things to come!!

8. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

Use wet sponges to keep your humidity up. I sometimes need two to keep my humidity above 70% The water resorvor isn't always sufficient to get humidity high enough and keep it there. Lockdown one day early will have practically no effect. It's far more important that they were turned often the first few weeks.

The thread formerly known as hatch day is today is another fiine thead where I and many other avid hatchers would also be happy to help you.

9. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I think alot of people can be a day off. most people placing eggs in a bator call day one when they place them in the bator. but if you put eggs in at 4pm that really cannot be counted as day one. day one should be called the next day or at least expect them to hatchon days 22-23.

This is the case of my current situation. I placed them in at 4pm 17 days ago. tomorrow is day 18 (I counted the first day because I was excited) but I will not lock down until day 19 and not expect them to hatch until day 22-23.

10. sterlingb

Feb 12, 2013
    Shreveport, LA

My temp must of been off because I'm at the end of day 23 and nothing opened the air cells on half and still have live chicks so I applied some ointment and wrapped them in paper towels. Not feeling to geat about it but I'm trying my best to give these little guys every chance I can. They still have a lot of veining and some even still have pretty good size yolk sacks from what I can see. Fingers crossed I'm a good enough vet to help these guys through!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by