Help Please on Barred Rock Gender!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by christy4521, Jun 13, 2016.

1. christy4521

christy4521 New Egg

Jun 13, 2016
    We have 13 chickens, and 7 of them are Barred Rocks. We were told by the tractor supply place we bought them from we had 1 rooster. After reading so many posts and looking at the pics uploaded on this forum, I am confused if I have 1 or 4 roosters. Based on the coloring and comb development I have been told I have 4 Roos!!! We are new to having chickens and can't have any more than 1 rooster. We purchased these babies in mid April as baby chicks. I assume they were about a week or so old then. Any help would be appreciated!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gardenalex

Gardenalex Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2015
    You might habe two Roos, depending in your last pic.The Front bird in the last pic is surely male. Maybe you should post single pics of your chicks in question.

3. christy4521

christy4521 New Egg

Jun 13, 2016
    Not sure if these pics are telling. They don't sit still for very long!
    The three in question are...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thank you so much for the advice!!
    Here is one more of the first pic at a different angle.
    [​IMG]

4. ECSandCCFS

ECSandCCFS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Georgia
    I do believe that you do have 4 roos, because the four you suspect have very wide, white barring compared to the others in the background, which is a common quality in male Barred Rocks, along with the large combs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by