Help please! One of the three new pullets breathing is raspy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mamatink7, Nov 13, 2016.

1. mamatink7

mamatink7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    She is sneezing, very congested. Eating and drinking is fine. Laid egg yesterday at the poultry show.
    I tried Duromycin but they refused the water (as did they refuse the electrolyte water) and I learned NOT to give to over 16wk of age. They didn't get enough to harm them & I stopped right away (900ml water with half tsp-- 2 got less than 1ml dropper & sick got 1.25ml dropper)

I also have VetRX I tried tonight as well, seem to work as she let me drop it her beak. Only treated her.

Please help!! These girls are quarantined this week BTW. They are the pickiest girls we have so far ugggh.
    Any other suggestions ya'll can give me.

2. mamatink7

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    Oh yeah, I also got a backyard chicken health pack from TSC to use after 100% healthy or should I follow those instruction & use only this now.
    Just worried

3. Sony57

Sony57 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2014
    When did symptoms start? Sneezing is only symptom? You mentioned congestion, is this present by plugged nose, raspy breathing or both? How old is the bird...I assume you took a bird to a poultry show and she came home sneezing? Did you have other birds there? Has the sneezing bird been exposed to other birds you may have?

4. mamatink7

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    thx for responding. We got her and 2 others from poultry show. Her and one of them are from same breeder, hatched together. She sneezing from time she came home, sneezed 4x. Raspy breathing when laying down. Snoring when she sleeps. Sounds Gurgley when breathing. Her sister is perfectly fine and so is the buff Orpington we got with them.
    Behavior is fine-not listless, red comb/ wattles/ earlobe, eating, scratching, drinking plain water, sleeping.

5. Sony57

Nov 17, 2014
    Let me first state I am not an expert.

I am currently rattled by a respiratory issue of my own. I would separate her from the others and either take her to an avian vet or have samples sent to a lab such as zoologix to determine if this is an infectious respiratory disease.

All that being said, I have read on multiple threads in BY chickens and other places where people opt to immediately treat with Tylan 50, injectable or orally. Some of the respiratory diseases will not respond to antibiotics and in these cases antibiotics only act as an aid against secondary infections. This is because antibiotics are for bacterial diseases and many respiratory illnesses are due to viral infections. I recommend diagnosis before treatment. Also the diagnosis will tell you if you are putting your other birds at risk.

Regardless, isolation will ensure she is not being picked on by the others (forced away from feeders/waterers).

Also, due to the chickens anatomy it can be easy to "drown" a chicken when dropper feeding. I personally do not drop VetRx into their throats. If anything I put it in the front of their beaks and let them swallow. You can use vet RX under their wings, or as I have done, I saturated a cutip and let my more lively chicks suck on it.
    I also use the cutip and rub it just under their nostrils, wattles, and on their comb.

testing can be submitted to: http://www.zoologix.com/avian/index.htm

6. mamatink7

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    that kind you for your response. I couldn't just shove the dropper down her poor throat, I tap her bottom beak with a drop and she drank it. I may rub on head or throat today then do droppers again tonight. Fxing this helps. If not, I WILL try tynal injection (wIsh I could do by mouth though) and contact Zoologix as you mentioned. She is quarantined with the other two from the show-no contact with our other girls and I practice bio security when while with any girls-gloves shoes, hands clean and sometimes clean entire clothes.

7. Sony57

Nov 17, 2014
    How are the chickies doing?

8. mamatink7

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    thank you for asking! The other two are still doing great (even the buff Orpington that had been horribly pecked is healed and doesn't even need her no peck med). The sicky chicky is sounding MUCH better. No more sneezing, only a slight raspiness which I feel will clear up by end of week. She hasn't laid since coming here on Saturday, but that's fine as we aren't keeping these girls eggs till out of quarantine. I want to send to zologix but nothing is specified as what and where to send. I love their site! I'd like to have their eggs tested but not sure who or where to send them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by