HELP please! (PICS) Broody new mother hen woke up with horribly scabbed eyes and comb (and everyone

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Venicecoop, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Venicecoop

Venicecoop New Egg

Apr 8, 2013
    Greetings. I am in a panic at the moment and am literally praying that you guys and gals can help me. I've six hens, four of them are layers and other two hatched in March, nice hardy girls. They free range my yard, they eat all purpose mash, have apple cider vinegar in their water, eat a ton of kale, corn, yogurt and other fruits and veggies as treats and are just the happiest, calmest girls around. My silver laced cochin went stubbornly broody and wonder that she is, just last weekend hatched the clutch of borrowed silky eggs she was sitting on and momma, baby and brood were all well, happy and healthy YESTERDAY.

I was just in the yard playing with them and everyone seems FINE but when I checked on the silver laced momma her one of her eyes is scabbed almost shut and there are scabs all over her comb and face. My first thought is that maybe she had a run in with one of the other girls (happened once or twice even though I keep her and her brood in a separate sleeping/living cage when she is locked up). But then I noticed that to some extent or another three of my other girls have these black...scabby looking things on their combs.

I am at a complete loss. Everyone literally looked FINE yesterday and I know bc I took a nap with two of them on my porch. What has happened??? How can I stop it/treat it??? And what will become of the week old chicks I have that have been with the Cochin??

Please please please help! Thank you so much.
    Karen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    you may have a rat biting on them.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  4. Venicecoop

Venicecoop New Egg

Apr 8, 2013
    Thanks you guys! What can I do for her poor eyes? They look terrible and have black scabs all around them. It looks so painful....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by