1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP PLEASE...PICS INCLUDED...WARNING GRAPHIC...WILL SHE LIVE?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by da-cajun-angla, Apr 13, 2008.

1. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    laplace,la
    I PUT MY 6WK OLD PULLETS INTO THE COOP LAST NIGHT...TE CAGE I HAVE THEM IN WAS GETTING TOO SMALL. I READ ON HERE THAT I COULD PUT THEM IN AT NIGHT...I KNOW I SHOULD HAVE KEPT A CLOSE EYE ON THEM:(...I FEEL LIKE SH!T...I KNOW ITS MY FAULT...I JUST REALLY DIDNT THINK THEY WOULD BE SO MEAN...REALLY. ANYWAYS, SHE HAS NO SKIN ON HER HEAD TO COVER THE WOUND. AS U CAN SEE IN THE PIC, SHE IS EATING WHILE I WAS TAKING PICS. WHAT SHOULD I DO? I CANT KILL HER...IVE HAD HER SINCE SHE WAS 1 WEEK OLD.
    THANKS IN ADVANCE,
    SHAUN

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/da-cajun-angla/PICT0003-1.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/da-cajun-angla/PICT0002-1.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/da-cajun-angla/PICT0001-2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  2. tink

tink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2007
    upstate SC
    I had a chicken that had the same thing....keep it clean and covered with neosporin. It will heal. She may or may not have feathers there again. Can't see the picture.....I cleaned mine out with peroxide and kept it full of neosporin. Others will tell you not to use the peroxide...but it worked for me.

Good luck
    tink

3. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    I don't see a pic??

ok, never mind, I had to reload the page. I agree, first aid measures are needed, and separation until she heals.

4. da-cajun-angla

Jan 22, 2008
    laplace,la
    i had to figure out how to enter the link...sorry, i edited the post and added the pic links

5. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    OMG that's her brain! Wow....I can't believe she's still alive! I've always heard iodine works really well. Best of luck w/her...so sorry you're going though this.... :aww
    Edited to say I wouldn't personally put peroxide on it *just b/c* it's her brain....

6. tink

May 12, 2007
    upstate SC
    Do you have a rooster? That looks exactly like my hens head.....it was our rooster grabbing her.
    She will be okay.
    Tink

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You can't put in chicks that age with a grown flock; they really should be close in size, almost grown. You need to separate her, flush the wound with sterile saline or Betadine, being careful not to get any in her eyes, then put Neosporine on the wound. She'll have to stay separated till it heals, no question. Good luck. And they'll all have to stay away from the flock for another six weeks at least!

8. da-cajun-angla

Jan 22, 2008
    laplace,la
    thats not her brain...thats her skull, theres no skin on it....shes still clucking and eating and drinking...

9. tink

May 12, 2007
    upstate SC
    I promise....she looks exactly like mine did....clean her up.....it will take a couple of weeks....but she should be fine.
    tink

10. rjv_piper

rjv_piper Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Utah
    I've had pidgeons do that. Mine lived. I didn't do anything with them either. (They were wild and I couldn't catch them.) If you do what Speckeled Hen said she will be allright.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by