Help Please!!! Pipped at wrong end~~ It's out and doing well.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by steffpeck, Aug 22, 2008.

1. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    My 1st Ameraucana egg pipped at the wrong end, I have been watching it and it seems to be having a hard time getting around, I removed part of the shell around where it was at and the lining that went with it. There is no bleeding. It is resting now, breathing really hard. Should I leave it or help it out the rest of the way??

I am so glad I listended to Farmer Kitty and didn't put them in egg cartons, I would have never seen this one.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I would try piping more shell. If the membrane looks like the veins have died back you can try to do that too. If you get any blood at all stop and put it back in the bator.

Good luck!

3. steffpeck

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    It looks like it is zipping around ok. I will leave it for now.

I am worried about the others being in the wrong end. This one didn't pip into the air cell at all. I lost a bunch last time because they died in the shell with their heads down at the small end. What would cause that??

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I have no clue. I had one in one of my hatches do that too. She is doing fine and growing well.

I'm glad it's doing well!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    someone had posted before about this, something about high humidity being the cause. I will try to find it [​IMG]

6. steffpeck

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Thanks for that information! I am really worried about the rest of them if they will pip through or not. [​IMG]

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Good to hear it made it out fine. I've had a few pip upside down. They make it out with no problem. Just avoid opening that bator.

8. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    This is why I both incubate and hatch in a carton. If the eggs are in the correct position all during the incubation and hatch, the chick is unlikely to become disoriented. Since hatching in a carton, I've NEVER had one pip the bottom. Of course, I dry incubate also...so no issues with high humidity.

9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have adopted the same method and so far have had great results. [​IMG]

Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by