Help please, possible coccidiosis

RuBee

Chirping
Nov 29, 2018
Central Virginia
I got back into chicken keeping in September. I have a small flock, only four hens, but I've lost three. One was egg bound. I suspect the other two had coccidious. The first one was early on and died within 24 hours. The last one died in January. By the time I figured out the problem and got medicine she had died. I suspect a third hen has it, but am not sure. Should I treat the whole flock now just to be safe?

I thought I had taken a picture of some poo earlier, but I can't find it. I only saw it once or twice. The other droppings on the pen look healthy. I'm suspicious because I've found her in the nest box several mornings. She is not a layer. I close them up at night. This morning she didn't come out with the others. She is very sluggish.

How old is the hen? If she is older than 2, she may have other problems, such as egg yolk peritonitis or a crop disorder. Coccidiosis could be the problem, but you can give her a round of Corid or get some droppings checked by your vet for coccidia and worms.

Symptoms of egg yolk peritonitis are lethargy, runny poops, no appetite, lying around or separating themselves, sometimes a swollen lower belly between the legs, and they may waddle or have a more upright posture. Many symptoms can resemble other illnesses.

Adult birds do not usually suffer from coccidiosis unless they are immune compromised or have been exposed to a different strain of coccidia that they have not previously experienced either as a result of being moved to a new location or new birds bringing it in with them.
I agree that more information about your hens is needed.
For instance:-

How old were they when you got them back in September last year?
Did you get all 7 at the same time.... assuming you lost 3 to leave you with 4 now.... or did you add birds to replace the losses as they occurred? Bringing in new birds is always a risk.
How did you establish one of them died of egg binding?
What were the symptoms of the one that died last month?
What did the poop look like that you were concerned about?
Whilst Corid is very safe, it will delay things if you treat for that when the problem is something else, so worth being more sure of the diagnosis in my opinion, especially as coccidiosis is unusual in adult birds.

I got three Sexlink hens in September from a local farmer. He was selling his 2 year old hens to make room for new chicks. Of the three one was molting and laid rubber eggs. In October she got sick and died within 24 hours. She would not eat, she was hunched over with ruffled feathers and had diarrhea. One of the other chickens had similar symptoms, but got better. At the time the chickens had access to bird feed under the bird feeder. I thought they could have picked up something from eating wild bird poop.
In November one of the remaining hens was acting sick. She had laid some eggs when I first got her, but not consistent. The eggs were not good quality. They were soft shelled, misshaped and did not taste good. Some of the eggs were large. When I realized that she was sick I discovered that she was egg bound. I tried all I could to help her. After three days the egg burst. I nursed her for over a week. She was improving and I returned to the coop. Sadly the next morning she was dead.
At Christmas I received four hens from my mom. They were from out of state. In January one of them died. I realize now that she had been sick for several days. She had some of the same symptoms as the first one that died. Hunched over, ruffled feathers, I also found her in the nest box several mornings instead of on the roosting bar.
My current sick hen is one of the original Sexlinks. She is 2 1/2 years old. She hasn't laid eggs since I have had her. Her feathers are ruffled, but she isn't hunched over. She definitely isn't acting her normal self. She is eating some. Instead of sitting on the roosting bar I have found her in the nesting box.
I'm posting a picture of some poo. Not sure if it's hers. We've had a lot of rain recently so the ground in the run is wet.
Also posting a couple pictures of her. In one you can tell that her waddle is droopy.
Any help or suggestions is appreciated. I don't want to lose another hen.
IMG_20190221_160942.jpg
IMG_20190221_161142.jpg
IMG_20190221_161222.jpg

I'm sorry about your hens:hugs

Do you notice any bloat/swelling or fluid in the abdomen?

I agree with @Eggcessive It won't hurt to treat for Coccidiosis. If you have not wormed your hens, it would be a good idea. Getting a fecal float is usually the best thing to do.

As she mentioned in Post#4 mature hens can often have reproductive problems. Internal Laying, Salpingitis, Egg Yolk Peritonitis, cancer and tumors can be common.

I would check to make sure her crop is empty in the morning before she eats/drinks too.

I have to ask, in the photo, what is on the ground by her feet? Is it feed?

I agree with @Eggcessive It won't hurt to treat for Coccidiosis. If you have not wormed your hens, it would be a good idea. Getting a fecal float is usually the best thing to do.

As she mentioned in Post#4 mature hens can often have reproductive problems. Internal Laying, Salpingitis, Egg Yolk Peritonitis, cancer and tumors can be common.

I would check to make sure her crop is empty in the morning before she eats/drinks too.

Thank you for your suggestions. It is sand by her feet. We've had a lot of rain. Water was puddling in spots in the run so I put some sand in to try prevent puddles.

Back
Top Bottom