Help please, predator/fencing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dawnjoennikki98, Oct 30, 2010.

1. dawnjoennikki98

dawnjoennikki98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    New Jersey
    I'm having a stressful day today. I was planning on having a tight chain link fence installed, with chainlink over the top also for the duck run. Then cover at least halfway up, and 2 feet underground hardware cloth....but then today, horrors of horrors, a RAT came running out towards the ducks from the ivy! I've never seen a rat here in the 30 years i've lived here... The ducks chased him, and he ran into their temporary run , which i had just let them out of. so I shut the door, and i'm thinking yes, now he's trapped!! but NO, he climbed up 3 feet of 1/4 inch hardware cloth and squeezed out the top in about 1/2 a second !!!! what am i going to do now??? will putting the cloth on the inside of fence help at all?
    i wanted to have their run done a long time ago, but my plan of building it myself just hasn't worked out... We have racoons, coyote, hawks, rats apparently, foxes, muskrats, possums, and i want to protect them of course!

Dawn

2. Dances with Ducks

Dances with Ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Its not clear to me how you are saying the rat got through, did it escape through a break between pieces of hardware cloth? It seems like you need to have the run completely enclosed with hardware cloth. Are you asking for a good way to connect pieces of hardware cloth? What about overlapping pieces wired together?

3. dawnjoennikki98

dawnjoennikki98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    New Jersey
    Yes, thank you, it looks like this may be very expensive! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by