Help please, pullet not acting herself and limping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by marlene, Dec 9, 2011.

1. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Blue marans 25 weeks old
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Hiding under a bush and not walking right.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 24 hours.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Nothing that i've seen
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Layers pellets, water and oats this morning.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Not seen her poops but will keep an eye out for it today
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Treat myself if possible
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use coop 12x10, wood shavings

I was at college yesterday so i only saw her briefly in the morning, she seemed fine. When i returned from college in the afternoon i couldn't find her, went to look for her and found her hiding under a bush in the garden, didn't think any thing of it because she looked up at me and seemed ok, thought she was just getting away from the strong winds we were having.
    I locked them up at dusk and they were all roosting as normal.
    When i let them out this morning she went out with the others and ate the warm oats i gave them, after i saw her walking uncomfertably back to sit under the bush again, i did notice her comb looks whiteish and maybe slightly flopped over.
    I am going to go outside now and give her a good check over, i will report if i find any thing else.
    TIA

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend that you pick her up and inspect her for lice/mites. It's also possible that she might be eggbound. If that's the case, try soaking her in a container of warm water up to her sides and massage her underside for about 20 minutes. Hopefully she'll lay an egg.

3. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I have bought her in and checked her over, she is deffinately limping on her right leg but can't see any thing wrong with the leg. She also had blood on 1 side of her face, nose and a bit on her comb, she has possibly been pecked by another hen but can't see any cuts on her. I've cleaned up the dried blood and put blue cote on it.
    I gave her a bowl of warm oats and she ate it, she is now sat on my floor very puffed out, what should i do?

4. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I let her back outside and she was dragging her right foot behind her so i have moved her into the coop in a cage with food and water. I checked her leg and foot, it does not seem broke and i can't see any injuries on that leg.
    Any advise as to what i should do, is there any thing i can give her (pain relief?), not sure how to proceed so any advise will be most welcome.

5. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Is anyone out there willing to help me? PLEASE!!!

6. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    Have you wormed her? Limping can be sign of worms. They can present in some crazy ways. Did you get a chance to check her poo?

7. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you keep her somewhere warm or give her a heat lamp? The fluffed feathers can be a sign that she is chilled. Any chance a dog or some other predator got to her?
    I would not work her right now. Just keep her warm and give her healthy food/water. Maybe inside in a crate or box where you can keep an eye on her.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Please explain how worms cause a chicken to limp and what type of worms do this?

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Time can only heal an injured foot or leg. Keep her caged for rest and relaxation. You dont want her up and moving about, possibly increasing the chances for further injury requiring longer healing time. I dont recommend anything for pain in chickens with foot/leg injuries. You WANT them to feel pain so that they dont injure it worse by getting up and walking etc...
    You can add vitamin B complex to her feed, it might help speed up the healing. Crush a few tablets into powder and sprinkle it on her feed to eat. In 5 days release her and see if she can walk. If not, put her back in the cage and continue the vitamin treatment for 7 days. Then release her again to see if she can walk, if not, put her back in the cage and stop the vitamin B complex treatment. These type injuries might heal in a week, months or never depending on the severity of the injury. Also, consider lowering roosts and other high places where a chicken could jump down and injure their feet/legs. Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  10. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by