Help Please REad this

mturner007

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 8, 2009
my father-in-law was caring for 12 guineas ,8 rhode island reds, 1 amber link and 1 turkey all around 3 weeks old.They were on the ground in a cage with no bottom. He saw them last night and this morning they were gone. No evidence of a struggle. No blood no feathers no babies. NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anybody have any suggestions. He is in a private farm area with forest behind him.

could it have been a person. is there any tracks that can be seen . A real mystery. hopefully someone whose had same problem comes along soon.

Quote:
I'm not sure what this has to do with OP topic but I've had some outside since they were 3 weeks old without a light! Doesn't hurt them when it's almost 100 during the day and in the 80's at night!!

When I read this I thought the same thing, has to be the 2 legged variety predator!! Especially since there is no sign of anything else!
Hope you find them!!

Missi

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm not sure what this has to do with OP topic but I've had some outside since they were 3 weeks old without a light! Doesn't hurt them when it's almost 100 during the day and in the 80's at night!!

Missi

don't know about the temp around your way... but where I am, if one of my neighbour left their 3 weeks old outside at night, I would've knock on their door or keep them overnight until it's daylight again.

Was the cage still in the same place and was the door to it open or closed? When you say it had no bottom, do you mean no tray or no wire enclosing the bottom? Based on the information you gave I would guess the culprit is human too!

Anything could have taken them. A raccoon could have flipped over the cage, they ran and were caught in a different location. A bottomless cage left out is not secure against anything, in my opinion.

I'm going to say raccoon.

I came into this section this morning to post my own predator story which has some striking similarities. Here's the link.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4469116#p4469116

So, I'm going to say raccoon.
sad.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom