Help please! Rooster swallowed fishing line with hook attached!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nikkumz, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    Someone please help me, is there any way i can help him! He swallowed a piece of line that had a hook attached. Part of the line with the swivel is hanging out but the hook is stuck in his throat, I tried to gently tug a tiny bit to see of it was just line but i think i can feel the hook in his throat through his skin. Shiuld i cut th eline and just let him swallow it all the way or what!! I dont know help me please, this is my baby!!!

2. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:What part of his throat is it in? Can a long pair of tweezers get to it or something or is it to far down???

3. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I'm not sure but I think if you cut the line, it will kill him. Is there anyway you can use forceps like you would to get it out of a fish and carefully manuever it out? If not, I think your only hope is to get him to a vet where he can be sedated and the hook removed. There are ways to 'hypnotise' a chicken and if you could find those it might make the job easier! Good luck! I hope someone else with a better suggestion or experience responds soon.

4. Nikkumz

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    If what im feeling is it, its not too far down but i can tell its hooked bad, im so scared this is my favorite little baby!!
    I dont know if i could do that without hurting him.

5. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    Thsi is a crazy thought and yes, it is crazy. Is there anyway you could manuever the hook out through the skin and clip the barb and then pull it back out? Or, continue to manuever it out through a small opening? I know it sounds terrible but I don't have any other ideas....then you could just neosporin and bandage until it heals. Oh man, this is a tough one but if I couldn't get to a vet I think that I would try to do this....

6. Nikkumz

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    Quote:I was going to try that but the hook is facing the inside [​IMG] I thought even if it hurt him a little bit, it would at least get it out

7. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    How good would you be at surgery? You could make a small opening, grab it with a forceps and carefully manuever it out...maybe I shouldn't say these things...if something were to happen, I'd feel terrible...but I don't think he can live with a hook stuck in his throat. You don't have a vet that can do it? Someone to help you with this?

Make a small incision like a tracheotomy, per say? Carefully turn the hook and remove it?

How about a bird/wildlife rescue that you can call and ask? They see this alot with ducks and geese. Just maybe?

Please keep us updated!!!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  8. Nikkumz

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    I would do that to help him, but i just went back to check on it and i can actually feel and follow th eline, i didnt realize how far down it is, i think its in his stomach cuz i can follow the line down below the top of his wing

9. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    Well, I guess the only thing you can do now is wait and see and pray that it doesn't get embedded on it's way out! I am nervous and it's not even my chicken....I hope he is okay [​IMG]

10. Nikkumz

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    Should i cut as far back as i can, cuz it has a swivel on the end and there is probably a good 6 inches hanging out of his mouth?? Oh geez, im so nervous, hes a gorgeous BLRW and i love him so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by