Help Please! Rooster with pale comb, appears to have blood around beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FarmerWife, Oct 23, 2014.

1. FarmerWife

FarmerWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Hello,
    We went out to give our chickens their daily treat, when we noticed our rooster sitting off by himself, and I saw his comb looked pale. When I approached him, I saw that he had brown around his beak, possibly dried blood, looks like it dripped onto his feet a little. I have no clue at all what this could be, we have no vet here who see's chickens. I checked him for injuries, but couldn't find any. He looked fine yesterday, what is this?? Does anyone know? His poo is runny, and has a little black in it. I already separated him from the rest of the flock, and for precaution, I have him some antibiotic, and a bowl of water with Corrid in it. I didn't see any sign of worms. Just runny watery poo, with a line of thick black stuff. If anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it. Big Red is an older roo, he's five years old. But I don't see why that would make him so sick. Thanks in advance ,

Dianna

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm not sure what it could be, but if he has any signs of gasping, coughing, or holding his neck up and out, one of the illnesses to look for is infectious laryngotracheitis or (ILT or LT.) That viral respiratory disease can cause bloody mucus to be coughed up through the beak and nostrils. Many times it can be seen on the walls of the coop when they shake their heads. This may not be what is going on at all--he could have hurt his mouth or tongue, or injured something on his head, but I hope you can figure it out. Here are some links about ILT:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/83/infectious-laryngotracheitis-ilt
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._infectious_laryngotracheitis_in_poultry.html

3. FarmerWife

Oct 27, 2010
    Thank you so much for the information, I'm giving him a good strong dose of antibiotics again before I go to bed. I have him in a seperate pen right now, so he won't make the other chickens sick. Hopefully it's not too late for that. Tomorrow I'll go spray the coop with bleach and water and clean the feed trays and water bowls. I sure hope he makes it, he's very sick. Funny how he showed no signs of it yesterday, he was running after the girls like he normally does. I'll be checking on him again when hubby goes to work at 4am. Hopefully he'll have improved. Anyway, thank you again, I appreciate the help and the info. I'm thinking it may be what you said, or influenza. Both can have the bloody discharge from the nasal area. Have a good night all.

Dianna

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If you have ILT in your flock, this is a very serious disease, unfortunately, reportable to most states, if not all. The trouble is that vaccination even leaves carriers. Some say there is a newer vaccine that is less likely to do so, but I wouldn't bet money on it, personally. Nasty disease, this one.

Hope that is not what is in your flock and that it's an injury--I had a cockerel scrape his beak and he had dried blood I had to get off of it just yesterday, so could be something else entirely.
    Kim gave you good links, here is another one.

http://www.birdhealth.com.au/flockbirds/poultry/diseases/ilt.html

5. FarmerWife

Oct 27, 2010
    Hi,
    I meant to come here and post an update, but have been so caught up with helping my daughter with her 4-H record book that I completely forgot. Until I saw your post. No, it's nothing that serious. Red is now back to normal, thank Heavens! He's back to being his feisty self, his crest is red again, and he's got all his spunk and energy back. No more black runny poo. The antibiotics seem to have done the trick. ILT sounds pretty scary, glad this was not the case!! Thank you for posting the information though, good to have. Hope everyone has a great day !!

Dianna

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by