Help Please! Serama Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dlfridie, Nov 2, 2009.

1. dlfridie

dlfridie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    I hope someone can help me here.
    My new Serama just laid another egg. The 1st one she laid I put in the fridge.
    This one she laid this morning and I brought it in the house. It seems like a waste to not let it hatch. These chickens are beautiful.
    I don't have any more space for another chicken.
    Also, I may have to return the rooster as his crowing is much louder than I expected and I have outlaw chickens.

How do I store the egg in case someone would like to incubate it?

**LINK to where I posted pics of them.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=262457

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  2. feedstorechick

feedstorechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    I keep an egg carton on my desk to hold my gathered hatching eggs. Your supposed to tilt the carton to one side, then the other, a few times a day. Gather up a week or 10 days worth. Someone would rather have 3-4 eggs that one, since not all will develop. Also, eggs may continue to be fertile up to 10 days or so after the rooster finds a new home. It's surprising how loud those little Seramas can crow, isn't it! Good Luck!

3. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

you can keep it on egg carton or basket in case you want to collect it for incubating. if the roo done his job well, well, you'll have all the egg fertile.

be sure to set it no more than 1 week for best result since the longest you hold the egg, the lower hatchbility you'll have.

4. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Do you have someone in mind locally or do you plan on shipping these eggs?

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    On shipped eggs the hatch rate goes down even quicker the longer they sit. Preferably you'd want to get the eggs to someone within days of them being laid. Definitely no longer than a week. Serama eggs already don't ship as well as some other breeds so I would not wait a week to send them. If you aren't shipping then they can be stored 7-10days before the first ones you collected may not hatch. If you are keeping them longer than 10 days they actually store better in the fridge. I've hatched eggs that had been in my fridge 2-4weeks on more than a few occasions now. It would be best though to not store them that long and I would not charge anyone for any eggs stored that long. I have sent out refrigerated eggs but only as completely free add ons to an order without charging anything extra even for shipping.

6. dlfridie

dlfridie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Thanks to everyone. I followed your advice.
    I put them in a basket lined with cotton batting, large end up and dated them with a pencil.
    The breeder said she would take the eggs. Whew...what a relief. I hope they hatch out after all of this!
    Now, I have to give back this amazing tiny rooster that I have fallen in love with.
    Such is life. I'm not going to have fertilized eggs after this week.

7. neferset

neferset Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Actually they say fertility doesn't stop until about 3 weeks or a month after the rooster is removed.

8. Warfrost

Warfrost Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    Madera
    I don't understand why you have to get rid of a roo you love...if you are removing the eggs daily and putting them in the fridge, it won't make any difference as far as nutrition or flavor of the egg. If you really like your roo, keep it. AS far as the crowing goes...you might try and contact a local farm in your area and see if they can refer you to a livestock vet. It IS possible to have a surgery done on your rooster that will cease the crowing=)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  9. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

warfrost, american did have to remove it due to restriction of keeping roo that disturbing neighbor, i have to *remove* it not because of loud since no one care of the loud sound of rooster here [​IMG] but because of i don't have coop large enough and more divider to make sure they didn't fight.

and some remove them since they're mean and attack their owner. [​IMG]

hope clear enough. [​IMG]

10. Warfrost

Warfrost Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    Madera
    Mulia...those are all valid points, however she stated that it was because of noise, not because of attacks. I am just saying that if she really wants to keep that roo, she can have the procedure done to disable its ability to crow. Though I have no clue how much it would cost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by