Help please! Sexing white chinese painted/button quail - PICS

Discussion in 'Quail' started by FloorSugar, Oct 20, 2013.

1. FloorSugar

FloorSugar New Egg

Oct 20, 2013
    Hi, this is my button quail, Doug (presumed a boy for the time being), who I have tried and tried to find out the gender of but failed :(. He's 10 weeks old and quite hyper like the males but he seems to be as big as my other female button quails though...so I have no idea :s.
    I tried to check his vent, etc., but he really hated it and wouldn't let me. Help would be appreciated :). Quite a rare colouring because of the black speckles that I'm yet to find any information on. I don't think he's got a bib, and there aren't any stripes either.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  2. flg8r

flg8r Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    You can look for red vent feathers and crowing as well. You might not get the red feathers since the bird is mostly white but my boy started crowing at 4 weeks and never shuts up. It sounds like the wind:

3. FloorSugar

FloorSugar New Egg

Oct 20, 2013
    Thanks for the reply, nice video :) :). Well Doug definitely doesn't sound like that! So maybe he's a girl.. I really want to get to the bottom of this :D

4. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Another way is to place the unknown sex bird in with one you are sure is a female and then give them a treat like a mealworm, if it is a male he will offer the treat to the female if its a female she will just eat it herself. Now this is not perfect but it will help you to pair them up. Good luck and it is a pretty bird love the black speckles.

5. FloorSugar

FloorSugar New Egg

Oct 20, 2013
    Thanks, I will definitely keep trying this :D at the moment he isn't even acknowledging the treat at all, so i'll wait until he's hungry. Thanks a lot :)!

6. FloorSugar

FloorSugar New Egg

Oct 20, 2013
    Female :D thanks guys!

7. plecostrum

plecostrum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    ENGLAND UK
    I had one like this its a pied red breasted darth vader. I think hen as the colouring is only present on females. Not the males. ;-).

Nice bird

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by