help please - sick baby mallard

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 1duckychick, May 14, 2010.

1. 1duckychick

1duckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Two days ago my DH rescued 2 abandoned baby mallards (mom and the other babies didn't make it). They were probably a day old. They were both doing fine then yesterday I noticed that the littlest one wasn't pooping normally. She would do that back-up squatting thing two or thre times in a row but nothing but a little liquid was coming out. She was still running around though. Now this morning, all she's doing is lying around and sleeping. Still no pooping. She was eating like a champ the last two days but today not a nibble.

Day one I was feeding them smashed layer feed (same stuff I feed my grown ducks - all I had at the time). Then we picked up unmedicated starter feed and put them on that. Their pen is made of grass and hay - no newspaper or wood chips, a heat lamp and a water dispenser.

Any ideas what could be wrong and how to treat her?

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I really don't have any advice to give, hopefully someone else will see this thread and be able to give you some advice. Good luck!

3. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    maybe shes constipated? i dont know if ducks can be constipated...try to give her some food that maybe will make her poo a little relaxed? maybe tomatoes...just an idea...sorry cant be of more help. Good luck.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Have they been given any sand or grit? I am trying to get the timing right. Two days ago they were a day old, so yesterday they were okay, today not. You got unmedicated yesterday so they were on medicated chick feed for a day. Is that right?

I would get them onto some probiotics pronto, if you can't find a vitamin electrolyte probiotic formula at the feed store, try mixing plain yogurt (the kind with active, live cultures) half and half with water.

Give a little sand or chick grit if available. Just a few grains, or a couple of pinches.

Make sure they are getting plenty of water. Can you get them into a very shallow pan of warm (90 degree F) water for a little swim? Exercise often helps digestion.

If I think of any other ideas I will send them on.

When you said mom and others did make it, didn't survive what?

Last edited: May 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by