Help Please!! Sick Barred Rock Roo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newbarredrockandsilkiemom, Aug 12, 2010.

1. newbarredrockandsilkiemom

newbarredrockandsilkiemom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2009
    Belleville
    Help PLEASE. My roo just turned 1 yr old in April, his comb is loosing color (turning dark) and he seems to be loosing his balance. What can I do for him? I just gave him antibiotic water. What could this be? His girls are perfectly fine.

Thanks,
    Michele

2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    maybe vitamans? Mine sometime get loopie when they need them. I give E and B

3. chickletranch

chickletranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Check his crop...is it normal? He could have eaten something bad. Is he sneezing or wheezing? If he's not drinking alot of water, try injecting some directly into the crop via syringe or drencher. I agree that vitamins are a good idea. Antibiotics are not useful unless you know he has an infection. If he's not eating, you can hand feed him (via syringe) with Exact or another bird formula (mix with water).

Best of Luck,
    Lynn

4. newbarredrockandsilkiemom

newbarredrockandsilkiemom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2009
    Belleville
    Thanks for your advice, I think he got ahold of a rat or something. I don't know. He died in my arms about 20 minutes ago...[​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

6. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    [​IMG] I am sorry about your roo

7. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    So sorry. [​IMG]

8. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Sorry to hear about your roo. I would keep a close eye on the rest of the birds to see if they start developing any symptoms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by