Help please! Sick hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Anirtj, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Anirtj

Anirtj Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2012
    Minnesota
    Hen was very sleepy. Brought her inside. She was very thirsty. Moving around now and eating but it's like the water she drinks goes right through her. Have also seen clear mucus come out of her mouth. I tried feeling her crop for impaction or sour croup but all I feel is the bone that sticks out in the breast. She is still pooping water. I have no idea what to treat for. I don't want to return her to the coop when she's still shooting water out. Help

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Do not return her to the coop. It is very important to keep a sick animal warm and keep giving her water and food. The mucous at the mouth could be from dehydration.

Have you checked for egg bound, have you wormed her ever, and have you checked for lice or mites? What kind of feed is she getting? Besides moving around what other symptoms or descriptions can you give?

3. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    What color is her poop?

4. Anirtj

May 22, 2012
    Minnesota
    She moves around now and she's not holding her wings so low now. Keel bone very pronounced and dont feel crop. Poop is water with undigested food. She did have lice so we used pyrethin on her. Hasn't ever been wormed. Started her on Sulmet yesterday.

5. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I'm not very familiar with Sulmet, but what I see is it's used for Coccidiosis. You may want to consider worming her at this point with something like valbazen or safeguard liquid wormer for goats. The non-digested food really has me worried. Especially if you can feel her keel bone. Hopefully you can get her to feel well enough that her body starts to absorb the proper nutrients.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sulmet will also treat some bacterial infections. Do you have a kitchen scale that you can weigh her on?

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  7. Anirtj

May 22, 2012
    Minnesota
    No kitchen scale. I don't know what things would cause food to be undigested. :( :confused:

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Worms, bacterial infections, yeast infections or disease. Any of those could cause it.

-Kathy

9. Anirtj

May 22, 2012
    Minnesota
    Would worms show in her watery poop? She's the only one having problems.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Probably not, most worms chickens get are not visible in poop. I think treatment for coccidia and worms are a good choice. You should probably check all of your other hens for weight loss and worm them at the same time. Usually if one hen is loaded with worms, the rest of the flock is also.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by