HELP PLEASE, sick peachick

bdfive

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 11, 2010
South of Blanco, TX
One of my beautiful pied 6 day old pied peachicks is sick. I've been giving it Duramycin-10 (tetracycline hydrochloride) but have read Tylan 50 injectible (used orally) is the thing to do. I've found directions saying 1/10 cc per lb of body weight once a day for 3 days......also 1/4th cc for bantam size bird. I couldn't find a syringe small enough for this tiny little chick. What about a drop from an eye dropper? Will it be ok to change from the Duramycin-10 to Tylan? The Duramycin is mixed with water and I'm giving it a drink with an eyedropper every hour or so. Not easy prying the beak open .... hate putting it through that stress. I tasted the Tylan....yuck!! It's not eating or drinking on it's own. Please please help.
Thanks,
bdfive

First, what is wrong with him? What symptoms is he displaying? Tylan is for respitory illness, if he is not having trouble breathing, fluid/discharge from nostrils or swollen eye/sinus, it will not help. If he is losing weight, fluffed up or passing blood in stool it could be coccidia, in which a product like Corid or Sulmet is needed. It could be other things like being too cold...... please let us know more.

Not eating or drinking. Laying or standing with wings dropped and head dropped. Eyes mostly closed. It has improved slightly so I'm assuming the antibiotic is helping but read Tylan is better and it would give it a stronger dose into it's system more so then the Duramycin. No chickens here and has been in a big box with the other 3 which seem to be fine so am sure it's not coccidia. No, it's not cold. A bird breeder friend said it could be an internal infection due to the umbilical cord. He suggests putting iodine on it after hatching. Do you know how I'd dose the chick with the Tylan 50? Thanks much, bdfive

they don't have to be raised up with chicks to have coccidia... here in Fl, I could almost swear it is in the air... LOL. I personally would dose for it anyhow. you can give Tylan 50 by giving a few drops per mouth... under skin I'd give no more than 5 units on a diabetic syringe. I would also get some parrot hand feeding formula and add it to the feed and try mixing some thick, in a syringe and give by mouth. Lots of good stuff in it.

Last edited:
When I saw the beautiful IB peacock on this 5 acres when we bought it I had no idea what I was getting myself into, LOL!! I'm afraid to get chickens because of coccidia being more of a threat with them around. Is it as hot there in Fl as here in Tx? Think they said heat factor 110 today. I have 5 fans going out at the pens with pans of water for my peas to stand in. The free range ones have wading pools also. The chick is amazingly looking a little better so may stay with the first antibiotic for now. Poor little thing looked so bad I'm blessed if it makes it. Thanks....I may go to the Tylan but do you think it is safe to change antibotics?
bdfive

Tylan is really for respiratory illness, so if their is no signs of that, I would stick with what you are using. Corid is a good med to have on hand for coccidia in chickens, turkey, peafowl or whatever. As hot as it is here too, it seems all kinds of things survive forever in the dirt.
lol.png

Neighbor with farm close by that has well kept animals....beautiful place...says he's lost some due to worms being bad this season and the heat. Thanks for the reply.

Want to update the condition of the peachick. I changed antibiotics from Duramycin-10 to Tylan 50. There was an immediate improvement. It is eating and drinking now acting as healthy as the others. Thanks everyone for you input and support.

Back
Top Bottom