Help please! Silly Brown Chinese Goose!

TajMaChicken

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Hernando, MS
Ok let me first say I don't really know anything about geese. Then let me say that my "Knothead" adopted me and my ducks. I have 6 Rouen ducks and they spend the day on our community lake and come home every evening. About a year ago, we had 19 Canadian Geese visit our yard daily. I noticed one of them looked very different and after looking closer realized that it was not a Canadian at all. I was very sure it was a domestic breed of goose. A little research brought me to the conculsion that it was a Brown Chinese Goose. Well, spring came in and the Candian Geese flew out. Knothead did not. He began hanging around my ducks. He would be at the door waiting for me to let them out in the morning and would stick with them all day until it was time for bed. After a few weeks of this hilarious routine, knothead followed the ducks in. He has been a permanent resident ever since. I say he because he has a knot on his head as you could probably guess from his name. Now I am puzzled........my ducks have started to lay eggs. Knothead has tried to breed with my ducks - another reason I think he's a male. BUT he is now sitting on the duck nest. He sits all night, then he covers the nest neatly with a thick layer of hay before he leaves it.

Do male geese sit on their nest? Or is it possible that knothead is a she? If so why would she try to breed woth my female ducks? Do female Chinese geese have a knot? I know that's a lot of questions, but I hope someone with some experience with this breed could give me some insight. Thanks!

Last edited:
I have a swede mix drake who sits on my hens nest - with or without eggs. It is jsut so sweet
love.gif

Do male geese sit on their nest? Or is it possible that knothead is a she? If so why would she try to breed woth my female ducks? Do female Chinese geese have a knot? I know that's a lot of questions, but I hope someone with some experience with this breed could give me some insight. Thanks!

Normally, the goose sits the eggs but I guess a gander could, although not normally. Mounting other birds is not necessarily a breeding ritual all the time. In some cases it is a show of dominance over a more subordinate member of the flock. Females do mount females.
Yes, both male and female Chinese have the knot on their beaks. It's where they keep bus fare.
wink.png

If I had to guess I would say female, in the picture of mine below you can see that the male has a much larger bump the the female. It has continued to grow and now hangs right off his head. Yours looks like it has a shorter thicker neck then my male, like my female does. Both of my geese mount my ducks to dominate them.

Hopefully your goose is nicer then mine though, they are little stinkers!

37655_0730091750a.jpg

Last edited:
PICT13042.jpg

TajMaChicken, here is a picture of my "Chinese" goose that we discussed in another post. Nice to you you have a twin to him. The board decided that mine had some Embden goose in him due to the white band across his chest. Notice bufforp89 pair of Chinese do not have this white.

Your Knothead is very nice looking.

Back
Top Bottom