1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"HELP PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO WHEN THE CHICKENS ARE NOT LAYING'

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LoveChickens123, Mar 12, 2013.

1. LoveChickens123

LoveChickens123 Chillin' With My Peeps

I need some advice please because my chickens are not laying they are all most a year old. And we have tried every thing really but laying mash. And we don't want to do that because it has things that we don't want in our eggs. They haven't laid in 5 days or more i don't have a clue!? So please comment!![​IMG]

Thank
    You:Love chickens123

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    What are you feeding them? If it is an inadequate diet, their laying will be sporadic and at a low level.

3. LoveChickens123

i am feeding them corn

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Corn is not anywhere near a 'balanced' diet. They are putting all their energy into survival and nothing is left for 'egg production'.

5. lahowardjr

lahowardjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2012
    Bache Oklahoma
    Go to a 17-21% layer pellet. The corn can be a supplement in very small amounts every three or four days. I went through a dry spot and the feed, plenty of water and adequate light fixed the problem. May take three days or so to see an improvement. Luck.

6. SumiTomo

SumiTomo New Egg

Nov 14, 2012
    Mine too ...i live in tropic region , since rainy season my chicks stop laying eggs for few weeks now is that normal? Please advice ...what the food mix is balance diet , i usually feed them pellets ,blended all kind of grain , corn, red rice, and 4 diferent type of beans ,"all dried" for easy storage, + grit sometimes table scrap (2-3 times a week)is that balance enough????

7. LoveChickens123

so should i buy pellets and mix it with corn

8. Corn is no where near enough to sustain a modern chicken Get the pellets or crumbles, and supplement grit and oyster shell. You can still feed corn, but just a bit and not so often.

9. cmoore333

cmoore333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    I use the cracked corn as a treat... I agree with everyone here they need to be feed or something more then corn.. I wouldn't bother mixing it with layer feed
    (I did that) all mine did was knock all the food out to get to the corn.. If your worried about health wise maybe try an organic feed, with some oyster shell on the side...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by