Help please!!!! **update**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lurky, Feb 27, 2008.

1. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I'm sorry if this has been asked a million times. I cant find it fast enough. I would like to know if its ok to hear the chick peeping in the shell for 7 hours without a pip? I heard the egg peeping at 11:15 this am. I went to work right then and its now 6pm and there is no pipping. I still hear the chick loud and stong in there. The thing is, i thought i had read that they dont start peeping until they break into the air cell. So i have been worried that the chick was not finding its way through the shell. I only have 2 left to hatch and all the others have been FAST at hatching so i never had to worry. I knew these would be later as i added them to the clutch later....but is it normal to be peeping this long without pipping????? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  2. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    If I remember correctly they break into the air cell up to a day before they make their first break through the shell. I could be wrong . . . its been a while since I've read up on it.

3. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    I wouldnt worry about it this soon.

4. DrakeMaiden

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    From archive

You can open a small hole on the air cell end just be careful when you make the hole not to hit the chick.

I'd give it until tomorrow am, if you can stand to wait.​

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  5. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    OK....i think i will follow the dont worry thing for now. I hope thats right about breaking into the air cell that long before pipping. They are under a broody, so i did not hear the others. I think unless someone suggests otherwise, i will try to be patient. I'd be afraid to make a hole in the shell for fear of it drying up in there too early. I think i will trust in how strong they sound right now. Thanks for responding.

Wendy

6. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    if they have pipped, they should be fine for up to 12 hours... after then they will need help

7. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I usually here mine a day or so before they hatch

8. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Thank you all. I feel better now and will probably have one if not both hatched tomorrow. I can hear the second one too....but its not so loud and clear so it might be a gap between them. Anyway.....I was so happy to get the first 5 without having to panic like this [​IMG] I guess it was bound to happen. Thanks again.

9. DrakeMaiden

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I hope the little ones are as strong as they sound! Good luck!

10. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I just want to thank people for the advice on this subject and to say that the final 2 hatched sucessfully. I am very happy to have been able to get peoples thoughts on the subject and it turned out to be the right choice to MMOB. Here are a couple of pics. BTW....7 of 7 hatched with the broody [​IMG] so thanks again [​IMG]

and here is my original thread with a few picks too. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=35062

[​IMG]

This is the last one to hatch. Its a silkie and it looks to be blue.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by