Help Please! VERY sick hen, not sure what this could be!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mags2009, Jul 7, 2011.

1. mags2009

mags2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I have a 2 1/2 year old Barred Rock. Yesterday I noticed she was alone, and keeping to herself. She didn't move much and kept closing her eyes while standing up. Then upon further inspection noticed her tail was down. She has green/white very smelly poop on her feathers. We isolated her, but not sure if she is eating or drinking. Her poop is white now. She shakes her head and is also sneezing. PLEASE ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!

Kerry

2. nurseshelly

nurseshelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:If she is shaking her head and sneezing, it sounds like she has a sinus infection. Does she have any eye drainage? You can get Tylan 50 at some feed stores. If you call around you should find one near you that carries it. You would need needles and syringes too (the 3 ml or 5 ml syringes). Your chicken could get 0.5 ml injected into the breast muscle every day for at least 5 days. To find the right spot, put the chicken upside down on your lap. Feel for the keel bone in the middle of the chest. Feel on each side to feel the muscle. Be sure you are below the crop. That is where you put the needle in. You only need to put the needle in about half way. You won't hurt her if you go farther, but you might hit the bone, which is icky feeling for you and her. If you hit the bone, just back out a little before pushing the medicine in. You need to change sides for the injection each day so the muscle doesn't get damaged by the injection. If she is not better after 5 days, I would keep giving it every day until 3 days after she seems completely better. If you don't want to do injectable antibiotics, you can do some that go into the water. The injectable ones work a lot faster (stronger and absorbed better), and in my opinion are easier to administer. In the water, you never know how much of the medicine she is actually getting.

3. mags2009

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Is that the only thing it could be? I hope if it is I can get some antibiotics....we live in a really small town!

4. peterbilt

peterbilt New Egg

Jul 8, 2011
    Severalof my chickens have also shown signs of the runny nose , sneezing, and eye drainage. I was told it was CRD. I have been giving them injections of Tylan and Duramycin in the water. It is best if you quarantine the sick chicken from the rest of the flock as this disease will infect your whole flock. Mine have recovered for now .

5. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    Get some tetracyclene (sorry for the misspell) from your feed store. Last fall my chickens started coughing. I read all the posts and became really scared that I would have to cull my chickens. However, my local hatchery, (estes hatchery) has a disease site, and it explains that chickens can get respiratory problems that are NOT always deadly. I bought a bag of tetracyclene, mixed 1/2 a teaspoon per 5 gallon waterer, changed and remixed every 24 hours for 7 days. Within 1 day, no more coughing. That was last fall and everyone is fine. I was scared to death!!! Yes, there are bad diseases out there, but sometimes they just get a cold...........which none of the information sites mentioned.

It is very scarey when chickens get sick, but don't panic......get some antibiotic. I know we all want to raise organic chickens. However, a little antibiotic, just when they are sick, is better than dead chickens. If you want to be organic, throw away the eggs while they are on antibiotic and a few days afterwards.

6. mags2009

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Pepper died today...she had mucus coming out her nose and mouth!! Is this something that could affect the whole flock??? SO scared now!!

7. hvl25

hvl25 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Quote:I am sorry:( Sending you hugs. I am having this same thing going on righ tnow for the first time for me since getting chickens. We are starting them on duramycin today and I am ordering some Tylan since I could not find it local. Its hard being a chicken mama:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by