help please !! What breed is this chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Cremesoda34, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Cremesoda34

Cremesoda34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2011
    logansport ,indiana
    I got this from rural king yesterday and it was in with the bantams and is bantam size but the bantams they had was millie and OE. So I called townline because this is where the chicks come from and they couldn't tell me. It is feathered leg and toes and has a slight redish/buff tint. I went back today and bought another just like it so it wouldn't be the only one of whatever breed it is. Bantam cochin? I have never had bantam cochin chicks so that was my only thought. Any guesses would be great . thank you.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    just might be a bantam partridge cochin

3. Cremesoda34

Oct 20, 2011
    logansport ,indiana
    I just called townline again and talked with another lady who told me all they have in feathered leg breed are millies and white silkie. This is not a silkie and does not look like any millie I have ever seen. So I have no clue unless it's silkie/millie cross. yikes, hope not.I really hope this lady is wrong.

4. JillS

JillS Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    Ya'll are so helpful. How about my group of pullets? Are they all pullets? The black ones are 6 wks. The black and white nearly 7 wks. I named one Steve just in case. Is there a Steve in this group? Thanks![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Cremesoda34

Oct 20, 2011
    logansport ,indiana
    the second picture, the one could be your steve as it has some red wattles and the other doesn't but that doesn't always mean anything. One might mature faster than the others lol. sorry couldn't help much . That would be my guess anyway.

6. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    You might need to go with Steve, Steven and Stevie...sorry, but several look like they could be boys to me.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    No idea on the chick, but both black 7 week old chicks are boys.

8. JillS

JillS Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    Thank you for correcting the age on them as well. I didn't know quite how old they were. Seems there will be chicken in the pressure cooker much sooner than anticipated. I'll give them all time. After I got the 6 pullets i thought i should have gotten a roo. I wanted to keep it at six to start. But if One goes in the pot, I want a good proven sitter. Who knows maybe one of these pullets will be a great sitter. Good sitters are genetic, a given. But there any actions on my part that might encourage sitting?

9. Cremesoda34

Oct 20, 2011
    logansport ,indiana
    The only advice I have myself with getting a hen to sit is let the eggs pile up in the nest box. Each chicken is different as some will sit and others want no part of it . I have just one hen out of my 10 that will and the rest same age and breed want no part of it.Maybe someone else might know other ways but letting the eggs stay in the nest box is the only way and sometimes that doesn't work.

10. mrschickmartin

mrschickmartin New Egg

Feb 25, 2012
    Southwestern Kentucky
    Hi! The black ones are definitely Steves. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by