Help Please........What did I just Buy??? Update..PICS

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mtnhomechick, Dec 31, 2008.

1. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Are these meaties?

The other day I posted that I got a real good deal on some meat birds. Do these look like Cornish Mix?

I have never seen birds this big. They have short legs and real broad breasts.......eat constantly but to me they don't look like the cornish I processed in the past. The combs and wattles look too red and they are VERY alert.

What do you all think?

Thanks,

Mary
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Do you know how old they are?

How heavy are they?

They do look to be older than 8-10 weeks old due to comb development. And I want to say I see two roos in the upper right hand corner and some point of lay hens in the front....

Maybe they are white rocks? Those are prety common and can get to 6-10 lbs as adults.

If they are true meat birds, they would be cornish x rocks, and usually they don't breed since they die of heart issues earlier...

From the bit of leg I see... doesnt look like a meat bird. Else, they may be meat birds raised on a very strict diet and thus never got too heavy...

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They look like meaties. I only do roosters when I do the cornish x so I don't have first hand experience with the females. That one in the back corner looks like a handsome devil for chicken and dumplings. The hens are up front.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Show us their legs.

5. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    That's the problem. The lady I bought them from advertised as meat birds. He daughter got her these thinking they were layers. I don't know who her daughter got them from and this lady only had them for three weeks. But they are HUGE. And they don't lay.

6. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    They look like my crosses. Do they have poopy butts and bald bellies? BIG shoulders on the roo. Ya I would say broilers.

Chef

7. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:I'll try to upload. The legs are short though and the necks are rather long.

8. mhaines4102

mhaines4102 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Stroud, Oklahoma
    It is hard to tell from the picture. They could be. Are their legs really big. Do they waddle when they walk. Do they look like a frankenstienian experiment. Lay down all day. They only get up really to eat or drink. They drink a LOT of water, eat a LOT of food. Honk like a duck. If they are huge, it doesn't really matter what they are. They will cook up nicely. [​IMG]

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

What throws me off is that I think I see sickles on the roosters. And sickles don't show up till later in life... and I've never had a meat bird show me sickles as I ate them long before.

10. mhaines4102

mhaines4102 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Stroud, Oklahoma
    Maybe somebody sold you jersey giants.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by