1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help please!..what is this on my hens egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redhen, Oct 28, 2008.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Hi, i just found this egg..and it had this tissue type thing stuck on it...is this a prolapse? or the lining of her uterus?..i went out and checked all my girls..(i hope i didnt miss any..) and none had anything coming out of their vents... any help would be appreciated, thanks, Wendy..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  2. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    looks like a dried up yolk...if thats possible.

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I would just keep an eye on the girls. If nobody acts sick, and it doesn't happen again, just consider it a fluke. JMHO. Just out of curiosity, what did the inside of the egg look like?

4. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    hi..no its not a yolk...its definatley some sort of tissue material...but thanks for the idea though..[​IMG]..any ideas will help at this point...ahh!..i hope one of my hens isnt gonna die..[​IMG]

5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Hi jody, the inside was normal...healthy yolk..and all...i am freaking out here..also..it did look like a first time layer egg..it was pretty small...if that helps at all...thanks, Wendy

6. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    noone else has any ideas?....

7. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I think it is just some tissue that sloughed off the lining of her oviduct. If the egg had torn its way out of the vent you would be seeing blood on the egg, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

8. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    hi chickbea...thanks for the help!....is this a common thing to have happen?...thanks again..[​IMG]

9. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    My hens have popped out some wierd looking stuff on the rare occasions with no ill effects. If there is no blood and no sick acting hens, I wouldn't worry.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree! If something happens only once or twice I don't worry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by