Help Please White Silkie Hen Just Died!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Imalearning, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Imalearning

Imalearning Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    timmins ontario canada
    The White silkie was one year old.
    she was okay this a.m.
    girlfriend was doing chores while i was at work and she called and said the silkie started foaming at the mouth. she quarantined her and about 1 hour later she died.
    the only thing i have changed is the water, i added one package of vits to 45 gallon drum of rain water. We just recently had a lot of chicks, so i am using the vits for all the brood..
    am i wrong.
    i couldn't tell what poop was hers, it came suddenly.
    all help would be appreciated. i do not anymore loss to my girls.
    she was on one quarter scratch one rolled oats and half layer, her diet has been pretty much the same.
    can a poultry died from over vitamining if that's a word?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't know, but I would empty the water, and give them plain just incase the vitamins were messed up in some way.

3. feliciamckee

feliciamckee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    Oh no, I am so sorry for your hen. I hope you find out what was wrong with her.

I have heard that some beetles are toxic to chickens and will cause them to foam at the mouth. Also, could she have been breathing a fungus that could cause a resperatory illness? Was her bedding wet/moldy?

4. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. Do they free range at all? What kind of vitamins were you using? If they do free range or have access to grass, she might've eaten a toxic weed or even a poisonous bug. Sometimes strange things happen to chickens.

Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

5. Imalearning

Imalearning Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    timmins ontario canada
    Her bedding was dry, i have noticed a lot of beatles in the past 2 day's.. hmm
    dry pine shavings, some straw.
    i dumped all the water, the peacocks turkey's pheasants quails etc...
    the water with vits has been about 3 day's now... but like i said dumped them all just in case...
    i cannot remember the name of the vits,,, i used this especially for the chicks and pouts because i did not use medicated starter..
    she did not free range.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by