HELP Please with day 22 incubation and hen/chick adoption

Samkeidenkeiran

Songster
7 Years
Aug 18, 2016
Hi there I need some help please...

My incubator has just finished day 21 with four eggs all are alive n...one hatched near the end of day 21 however we have just flicked over to day 22 and the others havnt even pipped.. I have my two extremely broody hens waiting paitently for there babies however ive never done incubator to hen before should I take my newly hatched chick out tonight and put it under one of my hens or should I wait until they have all hatched just a bit worried about how long these others are going to take.....also can I put one chick under my hen and two under the other (the hens are both in the same coop/brooder box and can I put the newley born chick under tonight and add the rest when they have hatched....I hope that makes sense thank you :)

I'd certainly wait at least another day or so in the incubator as 21 days is only a rule of thumb. Having two broodies and "sharing chicks" I have read, can be difficult. It may be better to ensure that one broody accepts the chicks, and then break the broodiness of the other.

Have you candled the unhatched eggs? They may not be viable. I would hope that you may also here chirping from the eggs if they are close to hatching. This link may help - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation

Good luck
CT

Thank you so much for a reply yes i think i will break one of them from the brooder as i think it may get tricky..im half way through day 22 and still no pips from remainibg eggs all were still alive yesterday...such a nervous game this is i feel like im going grey haha

Grey? Ive lost all my hair! Wife or chickens I'm not sure
1f604.png

Back
Top Bottom