Help Please with diagnosis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spatcher, Aug 21, 2008.

1. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    My neighbor (without a puter) has a roo about 15 wks old that appears to be having trouble walking. He is eating and drinking okay but lays down a lot and when he walks appears to be in pain. Looks and acts normal in every other way. The best way I can personally describe it is he is walking as though he's walking on glass, only doing the "goose step". Anyone seen this before? Told him I would check here with the experts for him. Thanks

2. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Ck the bottoms of his feet for any sores, swelling or hot spots, could be bumblefoot. Just do a search here for treatment instructions.

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Bumblefoot would be my first guess too.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

A bad case of scaly leg mites will do the same thing-are the leg scales raised up? If so, I'd say leg mites. If not, my next guess is bumblefoot. If not that, then I'd say he pulled something/sprained something.

5. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Thanks. Will have to go over when he gets home to check his leg scales. Is bumblefoot common in both feet at once?

6. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Quote:Yes. It looks like a black spot on the pad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by