Help please with integrating chicks with 6 week old guineas and geese!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by vmorrison, Jun 6, 2011.

1. vmorrison

vmorrison New Egg

Jun 4, 2011
    I am new at all of this and have (4) 6-8 week old guineas and (2) 6 week old geese. I bought them at the same time and they all get along very well. I have been wanting chickens for quite some time and am waiting on a coop. I would really like to get some docile chickens for laying and maybe a few more guineas now that are about the same age as my geese and guineas. Any advice on how and when and what chicken breeds that can be handled easily would be very appreciated. Thanks!

2. I don't know about the gunieas -- we only had a couple when I was growing up and they just wander around on the edges of things. Didn't seem to be bothered by our geese/ducks/chickens and turkeys though. I'd say that the geese won't care much about the chickens especially since they are so young. When you get your chickens, just put them near the geese with some kind of fence, and the geese will have time to get used to the chickens and vice versa . . .

3. vmorrison

vmorrison New Egg

Jun 4, 2011
    Thanks so much. Any good suggestions on a friendly docile chicken breed?

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:I'm very partial to the Isa Browns I got last year. They're quiet, calm, friendly, and they lay extra large to jumbo sized eggs very faithfully. The only bad thing I've heard about them is that, being a hybrid line and bred for heavy commercial egg production, they can die at a fairly young age, just too much stress on their bodies. Of course, in a commercial situation, they don't have the opportunity to get that old, they end up as dog food or chicken broth after a year of laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by