Help please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jonstr42, May 25, 2016.

1. jonstr42

jonstr42 New Egg

May 22, 2016
    I got these from a straight run deal at the farm store. Not sure what they are or the sex. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Cheep N Peep

Cheep N Peep Chillin' With My Peeps

The colorful guy in the middle is a rooster, and so is the one with black splashes in the other picture. The white chick next to the roo in pic number 2 is a pullet. I can't see any of the other chicks well enough to say anything, though. Can you take a good sideview picture of each individual?

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  3. jonstr42

jonstr42 New Egg

May 22, 2016
    That was the 2 in question. All the others are pretty easy to figure out. Haha. What is the tell tail sign on those 2? Thanks!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I agree they're both males. Red Patches of Death on the wings are the giveaway, females don't get that color. Plus, you can see saddle feathers hanging down (the long, pointy feathers in front of the tail).

2 people like this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    yes they have the dreaded "red patches of death," donrae has spoken of [​IMG] It's only dreaded by people who DO NOT WANT cockerels.

6. Cheep N Peep

Cheep N Peep Chillin' With My Peeps

Fatal patches of red-ish doom? :lol: Love it.

The growing sickles on their tails, hackle feathers and large red comb shout rooster, and for an EE, the red brown shoulders are a male trait.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by