HELP PLEASE.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by taffynoona, Sep 23, 2016.

1. taffynoona

taffynoona Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2016
    I want to ask how to give fresh peas to ducks. My ducks are 4-5 months old. Should I boil peas? Or give them straight away in water? I fear they might stuck in their throat as fresh peas are lil hard

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Just feed them the peas...Mine eat Broccoli, cucumber, romain lettuce and tomatoes raw...I give them frozen peas and mixed veggies in their water...No one ever has an issue....

They will be fine...

3. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    You should see the size of the snails my ducks swallow whole without choking to death. They never cease to amaze me! Peas are no problem, trust me. ;)

4. Kroelies

Kroelies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2015
    Netherlands
    My ducks eat like 5 peas in one bite and one of the young ducks swallowed a small strawberry. And they are not even big ducks. I buy frozen peas but put them in the fridge so they aren't so cold :)

5. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine get frozen peas, too, during this summer heat. They're Muscovies, which are known for eating snakes and small rodents...so peas aren't even a challenge. [​IMG]

6. taffynoona

taffynoona Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2016
    Haha thank you everyone !!! xx

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Did not want to say....Mine eat frogs in one gulp....Haha!!
    Goldfish one second....Empty pool the next....

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    These are adult ducks, right? And have had access to grit?

9. purslanegarden

purslanegarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2016
    I also just use frozen peas, though a bag won't last too long considering how much they would like to eat them. I just thaw them outside for 30-60 minutes then give them to the ducks. I haven't tried how they'll like eating it still cold and frozen (but still mashable if they would actually mash before swallowing), so I just think of the thawing time as getting it to room temperature in case they eat too much at a time and get a brain freeze.

I've read about some adult ducks eating mice so I think peas for some 5-month old ducks would be OK.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by