Help Please

Discussion in 'Geese' started by glennscheer, Dec 1, 2016.

1. glennscheer

glennscheer Just Hatched

Dec 1, 2016
    Seligman, MO.
    All,
    Georgette is a female and this is her first day of setting. I believe her to be a Domestic Goose, but as this is my first rodeo with geese.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2016
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC. She is a domestic goose - does she have a mate?

3. glennscheer

glennscheer Just Hatched

Dec 1, 2016
    Seligman, MO.
    Georgette is mated with an African, Jerry who is pictured below[​IMG]
    Since I have your attention, should I expect the goslings appearance to be more one or the other, or a beautiful mixture. It seems logical that the mixture will be the appearance. However, this is not my area of expertise. I thank you, in advance, for continuing our discussion.[​IMG]
    This is the first picture, taken on the first day (today) of Georgette's setting.

4. With that crossing, you will have white goslings and pied/splash(mixture) goslings. With my hatches it has Almost been a 50/50 on color every time. As in half the goslings were white and half were pied, give or take one or two.

5. glennscheer

glennscheer Just Hatched

Dec 1, 2016
    Seligman, MO.
    Thank you very much!
    Glenn

6. Silver Spring Waterfowl

Silver Spring Waterfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, Glen!

Welcome! I'm not on here much. I saw your post and was happy for you and anxious at the same time. Geese will hatch in 28-32 days, depending on the breed. In your case just figure an average of 30. I hope your Georgette does well, but if she does continue to sit, you will need to start making a place for those goslings because it's going to be very cold when they hatch. Bear in mind that the goslings will pretty much double in size every day for a few weeks. Their mama won't be able to cover them at 2 weeks and they won't have enough down or any feathers at that age. African ganders aren't known for being active and involved parents, although that's a generality. They will need a place with heat for 8-10 weeks. They're going to need a lot of space, too, as they grow. They grow unbelievingly fast, but they don't feather out quickly like chickens do. Their down will come in first. It's a difficult time of year to be hatching goslings. I hope all goes well and wish you the best of luck!

Kathy

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  7. glennscheer

glennscheer Just Hatched

Dec 1, 2016
    Seligman, MO.
    Dear Kathy,
    Thank you for the information. As for warmth for the goslings, they will be inside a duck/goose barn (10x15, or so anytime they wish. I only have the six ducks and two geese, there is plenty of room. Later this week I will break open two bales of straw, for snuggling/warmth purposes. As is clear, I am a newbie to BYC, but find this just what I need to get assistance with the chickens, ducks, and Georgette, as well.
    Thanks, once again.
    Glenn Scheer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by