Help Please

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Q QUAIL S, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Q QUAIL S

Q QUAIL S Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2016
    Help. I went out to do my birds and I found one of my males had his head cut open I think that my other 5 males did that. It is about the size of a penny and is bleeding bad. I think I should butcher him before he dies. I haven't butchered any quail before. And I have 6 males to my 6 females so I need to butcher some males so that I just have 1 or 2.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  2. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    I had one that was scalped very badly. I did not think there was any way he could survive, but I isolated him, gave him a heat lamp and he recovered fully. I didn't even treat it with anything - I just left it to heal. Males can live together fine if they can't see females and have enough space/decor to get out of each others eye line.

1 person likes this.
  3. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    If it doesn't stop bleeding apply corn starch on it and put him in warm dark seclusion for a while.

The aggressor will likely have blood on it - it would be time to seperate your males :O

1 person likes this.
  4. Q QUAIL S

Q QUAIL S Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2016
    I think he is getting better. The blood is now scabbing over and I isolated him. Tomorrow I found time to going to butcher him and four others.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  5. jojackc

jojackc Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2016
    6 females you should only need one male. I would say you have a full diner to eat.

1 person likes this.
  6. cshma11

cshma11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2016
    Illinois
    Yep, we have 5 females to 1 male. Quail for dinner!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by