Help please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nekatlla, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Nekatlla

Nekatlla Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2017
    Hello all, just wanted to pop in and say hi and then ask a question.

I recently started a bunch of eggs in the incubator, well 22 days ago. All was going well until yesterday when we hit 21 days. At lockdown I candled the eggs and had one i'd been watching the entire time that was upon inspection never fertilized. I tossed that one and entered lock down, all else looked as expected, even had some movement I was really happy with. On day 18 1/2 we had our first pip and went to bed. In the am we had a little Americuna who is now happy and healthy. We left him in the incubator for 24 hours and he had no yolk sac so I made the choice to remove him before and other eggs pipped since they weren't due for another day if they went on time. About 6 hours later we had our second pip and I thought this was pretty cool and not as hard as it was sounding on different forums. After the second pip nothing happened until 28 hours later, that is when the chick started to zip. I was still very excited and stayed up watching well into the night then went to bed at around hour 36 of the second pip which was about 12 hours into day 21. All of a sudden the chick was almost free and I had not opened it or helped him but there was a good sized spot of blood in the incubator. The chick stopped peeping and never moved again, I went to sleep and 7 hours later it still has not moved you can see the beak protruding from the egg and not moving 99.9% sure its dead. Does this happen alot or is there a cause, like to high heat or too low heat that could cause this? Also my other eggs have not even pipped still and were almost to day 22, should I candle them or just keep going another 2 days or so? Pretty big let down just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong to cause it.
    Thanks

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    What model incubator are you using, is it still or forced air? Have you checked your thermometers for accuracy? What have your temps been? What was humidity the first 17 days and what is your lockdown humidity?
    It sounds as though the zipper might have still had a prominent vein it hit? You might get a better idea once you've looked at it. Zipping shouldn't take a long time. I personally wouldn't let a zipper pause and not finish within 20 minutes.
    You can candle for signs of life or you can hold off a couple days. Whatever you are comfortable with.

3. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    And :welcome

4. brucifer

brucifer Chillin' With My Peeps

It happens. The chick may have zipped through active vascular tissue on the inner membrane of the egg. Sometimes you do everything by the book, and an issue like this can occur. I hate it when I lose chicks late in hatching, but that is a critical time when genetic issues, birth defects, and unforeseen circumstances can cause problems.

I hope the rest of the hatch goes well. Best of luck.

5. Nekatlla

Mar 7, 2017
    AmyLynn2374
    40-45 % humidity, first 17 days 60% last 4 days, temp has been 100-101 trying to average all thermometers, and stay in the middle of the range. Little giant with forced air kit. Non digital model. Temp drops when turning eggs.
    Update chick was dead still had yolk sac, hit a vein seems like it was early though, seems like it should have absorbed the yolk when it pipped and sat for the 28 hours.

6. Nekatlla

Mar 7, 2017
    Brucifer
    Thanks thoughts on how long to wait for the others to pip? I'm at 22 days now and only two pipped.
    Thanks

7. brucifer

I would definitely give it a couple of more days. I incubated some eggs recently that came from two different breeders, and the eggs from breeder A hatched two days before those from breeder B.

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    100-101 is slightly high for forced air if that is accurate, so I would not expect late hatchers. It's not impossible, but I would not expect it. The chick that died, if it still had yolk, would have had iffy statistics if it had hatched. There was probably more going on than you can tell with that one. Do you know to monitor air cells during incubation? My worry is the eggs didn't loose enough moisture. I'd candle to get an idea if anything is progressing. If there are no internal pips or movement at this point, I wouldn't count on any more hatchers. You can still leave them in as long as you want.

9. Yukidongo

Yukidongo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2016
    I just threw away 4 eggs. Seeping. I'm on day 22, and we thought we saw some rocking yesterday. No pips, yet. Temp has been fairly syable. Ranges 99.2 to 100.4 (briefly). Usually 99.5 to 99.9.
    Humidity 55%, with one alarm for lower, very early on. Perfect 65% since day 18.
    These are Jubilee Orpingtons, and cochins.
    There were 12 Jubilees, & 11 cochins. 3 Jubilee down, 1 cochin. Hoping to get a few hens, and a rooster off each. What am I doing wrong? Oh, I did turn them, without knowing better, early days 19 for the Jubilee. The Cochins were almost a day later.
    Advice?

10. brucifer

Hmmm....what kind of incubator are you using, and how are you monitoring the temp?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by