Help please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by XcluckyX, Mar 25, 2017.

1. XcluckyX

XcluckyX Just Hatched

Feb 9, 2017
    Townsville
    Ok so my hen has been sitting on 3eggs for over 22 days now,I added two extra eggs a week or so ago. Yesterday I noticed she was out having a feed so I quickly went down to check her nest one egg had hatched a developed chick but it looked like it had been squished so I removed it and noticed another egg had a crack in it so I decided to take two inside to candle and incubate and leave two for her :) I candled them and one is more developed than the other but they are both looking good and moving! My question is should I lock them down straight away or start turning them and candle them again tomorrow? I've googled pics of eggs at 15days and one looks the same but the other one looks around 13 days! Sorry I forgot to add the two eggs I took away were the two I added later on I hope this all makes sence lol ;-P

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    We do not know how long your eggs have been incubating, so all I know to say is lock down the ones that are atleast day 17 and turn the ones that are less than that till they get to day 18.

For future Incubating---Never add eggs to a broody after she has been setting for more than a day---Unless you have good plans to help in the proper way---in other words if you set a broody and plan to add eggs a week later---all the first ones would need to be marked with the set date, then you would need to remove them around day 18 and put them in a lock-down incubator and let her hatch the later ones---that type plan! Good Luck!

3. XcluckyX

XcluckyX Just Hatched

Feb 9, 2017
    Townsville
    Update on my eggs! I'm happy to report one egg has pipped thismorning ;-) Feeling relieved!

1 person likes this.
  4. XcluckyX

XcluckyX Just Hatched

Feb 9, 2017
    Townsville
    [​IMG] I'm so happy right now my mumma hen hatched her chick yesterday :) This was her third attempt and I'm glad she finally got it right well almost! She did have two eggs but the other one was a quitter ;-(

5. XcluckyX

XcluckyX Just Hatched

Feb 9, 2017
    Townsville
    Both eggs hatched one 4 days later than the first one lol both are doing well :) And mumma hen had one hatch out of the two I left her with one developed but quit ;-(

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by