Help please

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Staaceyroseyrose, May 26, 2019.

1. Staaceyroseyrose

Staaceyroseyrose Hatching

May 26, 2019
    I'm struggling, when I brought my run and coop over a year ago it came with 2 old chickens with it, they eventually passed. But I had brought another, Bella boo. When they passed we got 1 more, she has recently died after sitting on unfertilised eggs and wasn't eating and drinking enough. I rescued 4 hens from battery farms they died as all had internal problems so I was told. Got a Bantam, turned out to be a cockrel and raised 2 baby goldlines and had 2 others. Had a fox kill 4 of them this week and 2 survived, Bella boo and another, the other one sadly died from shock afterwards. Brought 2 more hens to keep Bella company 2 days ago. Gone to them this morning to let them out and the 2 new ones are dead. Were fine yesterday. I don't understand why I'm just loosing so many. It's heartbreaking. Any ideas why these 2 could have died they were 16 weeks old and brought from a seemingly good place. Just feel like giving up but I love chickens so much and I can't stand to see Bella boo on her own after all she's gone through x

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Addict

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    There are any unknowns for us.....

What feed are you using?
    How old is the feed?
    Any symptoms of something wrong before passing?
    Do they roam the yard or stay in the coop/run?
    Did you check them over for possible parasites?
    Anything possibly toxic they could have gotten into?
    What about plants in the yard? Anything they took interest in that could be toxic?

The old hens, the Fox killed hens and the sitting hen are all pretty easily understood....sad but undersandable.
    The young birds are the real mystery.

aart likes this.
  3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Can you post pictures of your setup? Have you checked your coop for lice and mites?

aart likes this.
  4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Any injury to the bodies?

5. Perris

Perris Crowing

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
    hello @Staaceyroseyrose ! welcome to BYC :frow
    It sounds like you have really been put through the wringer. :hugs
    Can you tell us/show us your coop and its environment? run or free range? etc.
    in the meantime can you pop a mirror in for Bella boo to give her company, albeit just her reflection...

6. Staaceyroseyrose

Staaceyroseyrose Hatching

May 26, 2019
    Thanks for the reply. It's been so hard and very emotional. The company I've brought the latest 2 from have offered to replace them.
    So they have their coop that goes directly into 3x4 meter run. They free range at least 6 hours a day if not more, tend to put them in if I'm going out, for school runs and bits.
    Feed is 2weeks old and layers mash. New hens never free ranged just stayed in the run, gate was open for them to free range though.

No lice and no injuries! That I can see.

Thank you x

7. Perris

Perris Crowing

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
    That all sounds fine. It's good news that the supplier of two young ones that died so unexpectedly have offered to replace them; perhaps they will have an idea what killed them, or at least will be able to offer some suggestions as to what it might be. Hopefully they will ensure that you get fit strong birds as replacements, but it would be wise to quarantine them anyway for Bella boo's sake. As for the other losses, all of us who get chicks have cockerels sooner or later; all who free range have or will lose birds to foxes. Rescued hens usually have short lives; their breeding and their history more or less determine that. I think you've just had a lot of bad luck, a baptism by fire :hugs. Things ought to get better! You have my very best wishes :fl :fl :fl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: