HELP PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickieAndy, Sep 4, 2007.

1. ChickieAndy

ChickieAndy New Egg

Sep 4, 2007
    South Carolina
    hI EVERYBODY! I'm new and I have a few really serious questions...I wasn't planning on getting into chickens but someone in our neighbor released ALL of there Old English game hens and rooster. They were getting killed right and left and the last hen was being mated to death by the four roosters that made it. Suffice to say I couldn't bear to watch it and cooped the last hen. She layed 15 eggs and I now have ten chicks and of the ten two hens and the rest roosters.

So here is my question: When can I put the female babies back in with the older hen?? I don't want the older hen to kill them.

Also I am really ready to find homes for the roosters...I'm worried about someone getting them for cock fighting any ideas??? I'm in south carolina and we have a dog fighting cock fighting problem here.

My chicks are about 2 months old!!

Help please!!!!!!

2. Iluvmychickens

Iluvmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Wow.

Thank you for rescuing the Hen. Is there a bird rescue society in your area or have you thought about calling local Feed & Seed stores to see if they know anyone in the market for some Roo's? From what I understand there is always an over abundance of roo's everywhere. Have you considered butchering and eating them? Just a few suggestions.

DeeDee

3. ChickieAndy

ChickieAndy New Egg

Sep 4, 2007
    South Carolina
    I can't bear to eat them!! So you think it will be hard to find homes for the roos! I could release them but I am afraid the are too small. Because the are old english game cocks they are starting to peck each other and I have limited space so I am getting a little desperate!

4. ChickieAndy

ChickieAndy New Egg

Sep 4, 2007
    South Carolina
    Peck each other in an aggressive sort of way not boredom pecking and right now I have a nice large chicken tractor they are in but I don't have the space to separate each roo on its own!

5. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    I think you have probably already received the best reply. Butcher or have someone butcher them for you. This is one of the reasons we raise chickens. Well,..... some of us anyway.

6. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Welcome chickieAndy, I too am from the great state of SC, Columbia born and bred. I know the problem of cock fighting in SC, I think it has something to do with USC " The Fighting GameCocks. You might be able to post an add in your local newspaper offering to give them to a good home, and there are people out there that really love chickens. Best of luck

7. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

I wish you lots of luck, It is hard to shoulder a burden like this on your own, Roosters certainly are hard to rehome.
    I have culled some that I couldnt rehome a couple of years ago, It was a huge relief when it was over. I dont wish it apon anyone. Be careful when you advertise that they dont fall into the wrong hands. that is why I charge for mine.
    You may find homes for some,
    by the way that was a very unlucky hen/roo ratio in your hatch, i usually get 50/50.
    Now if you rehome some and are stuck with the others, it is kinder to have someone experienced to "process" them for you, than to let them free and be killed by predators etc.
    Most breeders here in my area do NOT cull their own, they get another breeder to do it for them, they do each others roos!
    Its enevitable that when we have a rooster at "stud " that
    we will end up with more Roos! that is nature at work.
    Neighbours dont like it though and that is why we need to offload them, phew, im sorry im raving on.
    anyway let us know how you go.
    You are not alone here!
    Hugs

8. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    If you release them, you are releasing them to a fate that may not be as humane as culling them. Also, unless your hen is brody, she may not accept the chicks. I do have one hen who will, but my others wont, even if they are in the process of raising their own batch.

Your in a tough spot, but personally I would cull the roosters. You dont want to release them to a worse fate in the wild or rehome them to a cock fighting situation unknowingly. If you are uncomfortable, you can have someone else do it maybe or even see if your vet will euthanise for a reduced cost ( I know most wont agree with this, Im speaking for what you may be most comfortable with ). I worked as a CVT for years, we ran into these situations regularly.

9. RebelsHope

RebelsHope Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    wisconsin
    Do you eat chicken? I only ask because the chicken you get from the store would have had a much worse life than the one you raise and took to a place to be butchered. I am seriously thinking of raising some meat chickens just because I love to eat chicken and I think that it is just too cruel the way the chicken industry treats their chickens. Really wouldn't you be happier knowing that the chicken you eat, actually got to see the sky and eat a bug and run around a little before it was butchered. Personally I think raising and butchering your own chickens is much more humane than buying a bird from your supermarket. Just some "food" for thought.

10. Iluvmychickens

Iluvmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    What is culling?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by