1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Soonerguy33, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Soonerguy33

Soonerguy33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Oklahoma
    3 out of 14 hatched...I'm now on day 23....I opened up couple eggs to see if maybe they were dead and they were dead..alos looked like their guts were on their belly...any ideas? i still have more should i open them?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You can at least pip a hole at the top of the aircell, then look inside with a flashlight to see if they are "shrink-wrapped" in the membrane. If it's dry in there, they are gone. If they are alive, at least they won't run out of air till they decide to pip. Honestly, they are probably all gone by now.

3. Soonerguy33

Aug 19, 2009
    Oklahoma
    ok thank you for the info....Which side of egg should i put hole in?

4. Soonerguy33

Aug 19, 2009
    Oklahoma
    2 that opened were still in that muscous mebrane..but not breathing

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You make the hole in the very top of the fat end, where the air cell is, right on top. Do it carefully, chipping away a tiny hole about the size of a pencil eraser tip. I use eyeglass screwdriver and something to tap it with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by