Help Please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Crusty McPottydoodle, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Crusty McPottydoodle

Crusty McPottydoodle Songster

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
    I just went out to chick on the girls. The small waterer (that lives in the broody box) was almost empty, which I thought was a bit strange, but then I looked at chicken little (our baby) and her feathers are all stuck close to her skin. Is it possible she got wet and this is how she dried? Should I give her a bath and dry her, or should I just sit tight and let her mama take care of her?

ACK!

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    If she is already dry I would not intervene,
    Sandie

3. Crusty McPottydoodle

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
    Quote:Yes, she is dry. Letting Mama take care of it was my first instinct, but I just don't want to mess this up.

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Yes, she is dry. Letting Mama take care of it was my first instinct, but I just don't want to mess this up.

I bet she'll be fine - Mama's fluffy chest will be able to tell if the chick needs extra warming up, and the chick knows too, where the warmest place on earth is - Mommy!

5. Crusty McPottydoodle

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
    It was so creepy when I first encountered Gussie's bare chest when she went broody. I had no idea. I think it is really cool how you can't see her nekkid bits when she is all puffed up.

She's being such a good mama. I'm glad we went ahead and got some eggs for her to sit on. Maybe next time, she will hatch out more than just the one. That said, given this is her first, it doesn't hurt for her to only have one to worry about and care for.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by