Help please??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luvchicks8, Jan 29, 2011.

1. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    My favorite roosters wattles are turning black??? Why??

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Frostbite possibly...could you give a little more info or perhaps a pic??

3. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Well he got attacked last week by my geese they did a number on his comb but his wattles seemed fine. I do not let the chickens out in the winter so I do not know how he would get frost bite, but I guess it could happen.

4. chicks4kids

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I'm not saying that it's frostbite, it'd be much easier to tell with a picture. However, if it's too humid inside of the coop, he could get frostbite...normally it's on the comb though.

5. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Quote:It is humid in the coop, I think it is frostbite:( what can I do for it. I have heat lamps and everything and no other birds have any frostbite on them???

6. chicks4kids

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    If it's already black, there's nothing you can do for him at this point. As far as the humidity goes, you should probably add more ventilation...not drafts, more ventilation to try and get some of the humidity out.

7. chikinmama

chikinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2010
    how do you get rid of humidity when it doesnt stop snowing? I have the same issue. My roo is starting to get some dark spots on the top of his comb. Is that fatal?

8. chicks4kids

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Quote:some chickens can get frostbite on their combs and loose portions of them, but it's not fatal-not that I know of. Last winter, my coop had very little ventilation and I had humidity problems constantly...this year, I have a different coop with a ton of ventilation and the humidity is much lower even with all of the snow. Seems like the humidity is the same indoors as it is out.

I don't know what you can do for frostbite...nothing really I think. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some frostbite info. Luvchicks8 I sure wish you could post a pic...

9. chikinmama

chikinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2010
    I had a roo die on me about 3 weeks ago out of nowhere. He had a cold for a while tho, Im thinking it may have turned into a pneumonia like illness. I have since then noticed others sneezing,..... uh oh,,, hope they dont get sick too. Sorry to deviate from another persons issues, I didnt mean to [​IMG]

10. ChicksR4Me

ChicksR4Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I too have been having problems with humidity in my coop. What I don't understand is how to get ventilation without creating a draft?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by