Help Please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bonbon31316, Mar 14, 2011.

1. bonbon31316

bonbon31316 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2007
    Ludowici Georgia
    I have a rooster and a hen in the same pen. The hen is laying on 9 eggs that will hopefully hatch next weekend.
    My question is should I separate them before the babies hatch?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    If you want to be 100% safe, then relocate the rooster......But he might be just fine......What's his disposition like?

3. bonbon31316

bonbon31316 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2007
    Ludowici Georgia
    Thanks for the reply chicmom!!! He is real protective of her and is going crazy right now since she is not paying him any attention. He wont let me touch him but he has never tried to attack me. I want to leave her in there because I feel so bad for him but I also want the chicks to be safe. Errrrrrr What to do? What to do? [​IMG]

4. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I would prob. separate them, but logically they should be just fine as the rooster is the protector of the flock. A good rooster will let the hen eat the best morsels of food, protect her from predators and even give his life for her and his flock. The problem may be that you only have ONE hen and he needs a job while she is busy. Then, unless all your hens are broody, you MUST separate hens when they are setting. Good luck with your henny.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by