Help Please!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kbagwell1, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Kbagwell1

Kbagwell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    Someone on Craigslist listed 6 chicks for free....they bought them from TSC about a month ago and they know nothing about chickens. They said they bought them because they were cute and fuzzy! I couldn't believe it so I went and got them today. I have a few questions about these little guys (hopefully girls) though. We believe 2 of them are White Rocks and look about 6 weeks old, 2 are Barred Rocks at 4 weeks old and 2 are RIR at 4 weeks old. My questions are......The 2 White Rocks have HUGE gizzards and no feathers on that area. They also have like matted feathers on their belly. The others have some what large gizzards and matted bellies. Could the huge gizzards be from not having grit??? And I assume the wet/matted bellies are from being in wet bedding?? My have never looked like this so I wanted to make sure this was completely normal???? They are all eating, drinking and their poo looks normal.

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated!!!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'm guessing you mean their crop area is huge - they're chest area looks all swelled up? If that's the case, it's probably normal. When chicks/chickens eat, their crop area gets big. Then, overnight, as they eliminate, it goes back down. To test, put their food away tonight and check them first thing in the morning. Hopefully their crop will look "back to normal." Then give them their food back.
    As to why they have no feathers in that area, two thoughts popped into my head. Could they be cornish crosses (meat birds)? And could their conditions have been so cramped that it created a feather picking issue? A pic would help.
    As for their poor belly areas - I'd give them each a warm bath, blow dry, and put them under a lamp for a bit (just to make sure they're all dried out) to clean them up. Nasty, wet and dirty bedding could very much affect them that way.
    I'm glad someone who cares ended up with them [​IMG]

3. Kbagwell1

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    Thanks!! I'm hoping your right about everything!! I will give them a warm bath here shortly....Thanks again!

4. Kbagwell1

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    So everything has been going fine with the new chicks until this morning...the 2 bigger (white) chicks that are approx. 6 weeks old has bleeding butts. The other chicks were pecking at it so we have since seperated them. Any idea why this could be? Up until today they have been eating, drinking and pooing normally.

5. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    [​IMG] on the rescue.

Bluekote will work on open sores. TSC usually carries it.

As many of us are aware chickens like to peck anything that is red. Keep them separated until they heal up a bit and keep the affected areas covered. In a few days there should be some improvement.

6. Kbagwell1

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    Ok, will do! Any idea on why they would be bleeding in the first place??

7. Kbagwell1

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    ???

8. DawnCols

DawnCols Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    I'm guessing that the other chicks picked on their vents until they bled. I agree, separate them until they heal.

Did the crop get smaller again? If not, I'd bet they were given seeds or something with no grit. Definitely keep an eye on it--it's possible for chickens to get fibrous material in there they can't digest even with grit, so hopefully they can digest whatever's in there and not have a big problem.

You're a good person to rescue the poor things.

An employee at TSC told me she had a woman come in looking at chicks and asked "Do they poop?" and "Will you take them back after they get big? I just want them for my kids for Easter." The employee pointed her to the plush toy chicks and suggested she try some of those. Also cute and soft, but don't poop (or suffer.) She said the woman eventually decided against getting live animals. (Whew!)

Good luck and keep us posted!

9. Kbagwell1

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    Their crops are still large! Hubby said he didn't think they had been getting grit either! I contacted the lady I got them from and she said that she never gave them grit. I believe that answers all our questions about their crops. They now have free roam to the grit!

Hubby also said the same thing about the other chicks pecking their vent and making it bleed. Like I said, they are seperated...I'll be out there first thing in the morning to check on them! Hopefully things will be getting better!!

10. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I had a real problem with the other chicks picking the vent area on the white rocks I raised a couple of years ago. I think it is because they have that pinkish skin and if they were damp it would show up better. I also used the Blu-kote. I saw a post on here that said noxema would also stop them from picking. Never tried it but could see why with that smell/taste.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by