Help please!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by duckncover, Jun 29, 2011.

1. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    It's day one of my incubation and someone gave me 3 eggs to hatch. I was putting them in the little giant bator and I noticed two had cracks..will one chick be okay alone if I give it a lot of attention?

2. Shannon33

Shannon33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Babies get lonely by themselves. I would see if you can mend the cracks. I saw a thread on here about people doing it with candle wax I think. If you search for it, it should come up.

3. LilMissPetie

LilMissPetie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Michigan
    Yeah I remember on here hearing about it too, the persons cat (I think) knock the incubator off the table and she used wax to fix the egg(s).

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
  5. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    Oh man i wish I read this early I boiled the cracked ones and fed them to the parrots (good protein). I get paid on July 4th...Do you think someone would sell me like 2-3 eggs cheap on here so he won't be alone for long? The egg could be a silkie, silkie mix, or game fowl (?) mix. I hope it hatches though. I just got the bator at 100 degrees.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I had a cracked egg hatch out fine too. I usually candle at day 10 but didn't candle this hatch until I set them in lock down when I discovered the crack and the chick was moving, so I set it and it hatched fine. No tape or wax. I kept the humidity up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by