help.....please.........

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duck15, Sep 15, 2011.

1. duck15

duck15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Philippines Makati
    my duck has problems in the bones i think because hes neck is facing up his head is up he cant eat or drink his left feet always stretching and his laying down like sleeping but with eyes open and he is very weak, his head is under hes wing i take it out but it goes under it again. i need help.........is he gonna die soon should i take him out of his misery now?

2. Amigo

Amigo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Your house!
    Quote:It could be botulism, if it is, it's very severe. Cholestyramine Powder for Oral suspension is what I would use, but the problem is getting it in time. And of course it could not be botulism.

3. Symphony

Symphony Vanilla, Little Airt Airt

Certainly botulism! Sorry to hear about your sick duck. If you think Cholestyramine Powder for Oral Suspension is too expensive for you, see if any vet has a botulism anti-toxin. Botulism is a toxin, anti-biotics, pro-biotics will not help much. You should give them Cholestyramine Powder for Oral suspension or a botulism anti-toxin, along with a diet of yogurt and some warm chicken broth, keep your duck warm! If you use Cholestyramine Powder, then use about a quarter teaspoon for a quarter glass of water, give the duck that mix with about a 3cc serenge. Cholestyramine Powder saved my chicken who had botulism in three hours!

Your in my prayers!

~Teresa

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  4. duck15

Jul 12, 2011
    Philippines Makati
    there is no vet near me [​IMG] anyways he died i am so mad and sad at the same time because when he died i tried to bury him but my grandmother got him out of the soil and threw him in to the trash bin mannnn i am so pissedddd i wish i could have helped him.

5. Amigo

Amigo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Your house!
    Quote:I'm so sorry! [​IMG] [​IMG] We had a chicken die, and she was one of our sweeties. [​IMG]

6. duck15

Jul 12, 2011
    Philippines Makati
    What are first signs of botulism? i think that my other duck has been infected too

7. Symphony

The first sign are pastey butt and them being lethargic. Ducks get it worse than chickens. I suggest you buy some Cholestyramine Powder for Oral Suspension to have on hand. You can get online, I beleive. If you do get it, keep it away from your 'not nice' grandmother.

Your in my prayers,

Teresa

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If it's botulism, you need to find what they are getting into. Botulism is a poison, it can be eaten by the ducks when they are around dead things - plants, animals - or icky, standing water. It is carried in the soil. If they are fed directly on the soil instead of in a bowl, and the food sits around, it can pick up botulism.

You can also treat botulism early with a mixture of epsom salts and water, or molasses and water.

Use 1 pound of epsom salts or 1 pint of molasses in 5 gallons of water, according to Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks. Another option is 1 teaspoon of castor oil. Make sure the duck has access to lots of clean fresh water.

9. Symphony

Quote:I've tried epsom salts and water, or molasses and water. Never worked! Always failed, even if I did it early. And yeah, there is some source of water or food that made the duck sick.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  10. LemonDoodles

LemonDoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    Quote:That's awful!!! (the loss and the disrespect to his remains). I'm soooo sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by